Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boy vs Girl - Diaper Changing Process, Protocols & Procedures

I (think) I have noticed a difference in how parents of boys vs parents of girls handle diapers. When to wipe and when not to bother, frequency of diaper changes, use of creams, airing out, waking for night time changes, etc. It seems to make a difference in our answers and advice.

Please take part in my informal survey:

BOY or GIRL?

If boy, circed or uncirced?

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?)

Frequency of diaper change?

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes?

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other?

Do you wake for nighttime changes?

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never?

If you use creams or lotions, what kind?

Do you let baby "air out"? (leaving baby with diaper off to let air get to diaper area)
    Has lo dealt with yeast infection?

If girl, have you dealt with labial adhesions?

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues?

If you have both daughter and son, how do your dipe changes for each compare?

Additional comments:

--------
    eta: definition of "air out"
    Last edited by amldaley; 12-12-2008 at 07:33 AM.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

BOY or GIRL? girl

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) Both, 'sposies at night, travel and when I run out of cloth between laundry loads.

Frequency of diaper change? At least every two hours during day, mayber more, basically, whenever I notice it is wet, before every nursing at least and mid-nursings when she potties.

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? I always wipe unless, rarely, when I get distracted.

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other? Both

Do you wake for nighttime changes? Never at night unless dd has bad tummy and potties at night (only twice ever)

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? Yes, only with 'sposie at nap and night time.

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? Currently Desitin. DD had reaction to Butt Paste.

Do you let baby "air out"? every day, sometimes twice.

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? yes

If girl, have you dealt with labial adhesions? yes (which is why I am now so diligent about wiping and changing)

Additional comments:
    ---------
    A-M

---------

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

BOY or GIRL? boy

If boy, circed or uncirced?
    uncircumcised

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) mostly disposables with some g-diapers randomly thrown in

Frequency of diaper change? poop gets changed immediately. Wet diapers? Seeing how he tends to pee as soon as a new diaper hits him I don't change just for that. Now that he is older I change him at specific times during the day (wake up, after lunch, after nap, after dinner, before bed or thereabouts). When he was littler he pooped almost everytime he ate so he got changed more often.

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? In general, no. (btw, my friends with girls don't either)

disposable

Do you wake for nighttime changes? no way!

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? Only if rash is present

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? If I use diaper cream I use either Butt Paste or Nystatin (only for yeasty rashes caused by diarrhea)

Do you let baby "air out"?
    Not really

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? Yes. He, in fact, has a stomach bug right now so he has been having some thrush down there. The Nystatin has been working very well. We only apply it if it looks flared up.

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues? no

Additional comments: Call me weird but I worry about slathering on diaper cream when it isn't needed. I worry about the chemicals in it, even if it has a good safety rating on the database whose name I am currently blanking on. I also do not use lotion for dry skin unless it is really needed for the same reasons. Plus, on the diaper rash cream front, most don't smell that great.

Beth

ANSWERS IN CAPS

BOY or GIRL? BOY

If boy, circed or uncirced? CIRCED

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) STARTED WITH CD BUT DS WITH SENSITIVE SKIN AND COULDN'T CHANGE CD FAST ENOUGH (AT ONE TIME EVERY HOUR OR LESS!) AND NOW SPOSIE

Frequency of diaper change? BM RIGHT AWAY OTHERWISE EVERY 2-4 HOURS

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? I DON'T BUT MOM AND DH DOES

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other? SEE ANSWER ABOVE

Do you wake for nighttime changes? NO

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? SOME TIMES

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? PETROLEUM

Do you let baby "air out"? NO

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? YES, WHEN ON CD

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues? NO

Additional comments:

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

BOY or GIRL? boy (X2, currently)

If boy, circed or uncirced? uncirced

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) cloth

Frequency of diaper change? as needed. When wet and noticed, when poopy as soon as they're done.

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? yes (but DH doesn't always)

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other? cloth (with water) at home, disposies when out

Do you wake for nighttime changes? only if they're fussing

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? nope. Have yet to use any

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? NA

Do you let baby "air out"? no

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? no

If girl, have you dealt with labial adhesions? no

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues? no

If you have both daughter and son, how do your dipe changes for each compare? (all boys)

Additional comments:You're going to post your predictions at some point, right?
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

BOY or GIRL? Boy

If boy, circed or uncirced? Circed

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) Disposables - Huggies Supreme

Frequency of diaper change? Every 3-4 hours while awake (with feeds generally) and if screaming at nite; poops change immediately

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? Depends - if its a really heavy diaper & the area is moist, then yes. OR if he's really sweaty, then yes. Otherwise only 1st thing in the morning and wash well at bathtime

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other? Disposable - Huggies Sensitive

Do you wake for nighttime changes? No - I only change him at nite if he's screaming/squirming

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? Cream at nite preventative; vaseline if creases getting red

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? Cream - A&D creamy (can't use lanolin or petroleum); lotion - Burts Bees baby lotion; I also have started using Burts Bees baby oil on his penis & bum at nite after bath due to heat rash

Do you let baby "air out"? If he's looking red, or heat rash is bad then yes.

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? Nope

If girl, have you dealt with labial adhesions? na

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues? Some slight issues with adhesions from circ. Also, DS was born with a uranchal remnant - he peed out his belly button! He had surgery, but his bladder is colonized with abnormal bacteria making him at high risk for UTIs.

If you have both daughter and son, how do your dipe changes for each compare? sorry, just the 1 child.

Hmm, am I the first to answer who had diapered both boys and girls? I'll post for both.

TWO GIRLS, ONE BOY UNCIRCd
    Cloth, 'Sposie or both?
    **Sposies with DD1, cloth with DD2, cloth with DS

Frequency of diaper change?
    * With cloth, roughly every 2 hours.

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes?
    ** Maybe 50-70% of the time.

** Used disposable wipes for a LONG time, then switched to cloth. I started wiping DD after almost every change when I used cloth wipes because they were free.

Do you wake for nighttime changes?
    ** No

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never?
    *** Only when a rash.

If you use creams or lotions, what kind?
    ** I like the yellow A&D ointment that looks like lanolin. Desitin is a second choice. I tried Butt Paste and did not like it, and it really stained some prefolds.

Do you let baby "air out"?
    ** Not sure what that means. I don't ever deliberately give them some time without a diaper on, so I guess my answer is no.

Has lo dealt with yeast infection?
    ** No

** No, never heard of this

*** No medical issues, although it took a long time to develop a new technique for wiping a boy.

** I find it easier to wipe a girl because the parts are familiar to me and I know where the poop might hide. But with DS, I'm just not used to it ... poop hides under the scrotum? who knew that? ... or his chubbier thighs make a difference. I still navigate his foreskin with some uncertainty. I usually open it up the tiniest bit - not retracting, just separating the folds with my finger - and wipe after a poop, but I am starting to realize this is not necessary.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Quote Originally Posted by caheinz
    Additional comments:You're going to post your predictions at some point, right?
    Yes, I want to get a few from each side and then summarize, but I have to do it without offending anyone! And, geez...BBB has alot of boys!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

BOY or GIRL? Boy

If boy, circed or uncirced? I have both

Cloth, 'Sposie or both? (and when?) firt 2 boys were posies 2nd 2 boys are cloth

Frequency of diaper change? when they need it

Do you wipe for urine/tinkle/pee only changes? I ALWAYS wipe pee off posie or cloth diapers

Do you use disposable or cloth wipes or other? Both

Do you wake for nighttime changes? I only change at night if they are a wake

Do you use diaper cream as a preventative (prophylactic) measure, only when rash is present or never? Diaper cream only if they have a rash

If you use creams or lotions, what kind? triple paste rocks

Do you let baby "air out"? (leaving baby with diaper off to let air get to diaper area) When they are older ( over 6months) we do naked time

Has lo dealt with yeast infection? no

If girl, have you dealt with labial adhesions? n/a

If boy, have you dealt with any special "boy" issues? nope

Additional comments:
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter
    Do you let baby "air out"? (leaving baby with diaper off to let air get to diaper area) When they are older ( over 6months) we do naked time
    lol....Naked Time.....my dh and I have been using that phrase for years when we see little kids runnin' around naked....we heard it wen he saw Dana Carvey live. He let's his two boys have naked time.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast