Thread: CD Diaper Rash

Default CD Diaper Rash

yikes. okay.

Before DD was born we ordered BumGenius diapers fully intending to use them from birth +. Well she was born below the beginning weight requirement so we bought some disposables until she was big enough.

We started putting the cloth diapers on her on Christmas Day. Today she has diaper rash. I read that diaper rash cream kills the absorbancy of CD's. What do I do to get rid of diaper rash? I'm concerned if I put a layer between the diaper and her bottom that I will have to seperate that piece from the rest of the laundry so it doesn't get washed together. Great. What do I do with the piece of cloth that has diaper cream on it? Do a whole load of laundrey for 12 pieces of cloth? I do not want to put a urine/feces soaked piece of cloth in her laundrey hamper and not in her diaper pail. . .where does it go!?

I am at a loss. Is there a special diaper rash cream that won't ruin the absorbancy of my diapers?

When we used disposables we would use Destin on her about once or twice a day and that kept her tushie irritation free.

Oh! And when I used the disposables I didn't use a wipe after a peepee diaper. It really helped with keeping her tushie happy. Should I use a wipe with peepee diapers with CD's?

We change her diaper probably once every 3 hours (when she eats) unless it's a poopy or it feels heavy. Is this not often enough? Oh and at night I don't wake her to change her diaper so she sometimes goes 6-8 hours at night.

Sorry this is long, just trying to give you all the info so I get the best feedback!
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

You do have to change more frequently with cloth, try changing her at 2 hours and see how she does.

No, there is no cream you can use with cloth. The whole point of cream is to be a moisture barrier and that means it is not water soluble. Cream gets in to the cloth and then you have to strip the diapers to get it out.

What detergent do you use when you wash diapers? Could be a reaction to that.

Some babies have a reaction to the synthetic fibers in some diapers. BG's have microsuede, which, IIRC, is polyester. Try her in an all cotton or bamboo diaper if it doesn't resolve with changing more frequently and/or detergent change.

Also, it could be a coincidence and the rashed may be caused by diet...if she is BF, she may be reacting to something you ate, particularly since it happened at Christmas (and I know I eat differently at holidays).

hth!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

thanks! I use Allen's for detergent. Maybe I should try Charlie's? Does anyone know if they sell it at Trader Joe's?

She isn't BF.

I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes!
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Warning: Children have been known to be sensitive to Charlie's. Even those that did not react to other stuff.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley
    No, there is no cream you can use with cloth. The whole point of cream is to be a moisture barrier and that means it is not water soluble. Cream gets in to the cloth and then you have to strip the diapers to get it out.
    That isn't 100% accurate. Pinstripes & Polkadots has more info + a chart with acceptable creams to use with CDs. I use the Northern Essence diaper salve.

I agree with trying to change her more frequently and see if that helps. Although, as the PP says, some babies have issues with the microsuede in BGs.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Buy a yard of cheap fleece from a fabric store, cut it into rectangles. Smear the cream on the butt and rectangle, these can be washed and when they get nasty can be tossed. The cream will never touch the CD and you still get diaper cream and to CD.

We had the best luck with Tide, baking soda and vinegar. It will take some experimenting to find the right combo of detergents and stuff.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've heard some kids are sensitive to suedecloth. I second the suggestion to try fleece, but sometimes it's irritating as well.

I had a customer who tried everything and finally figured out that her daughter needed natural fibers, so we made bamboo velour liners for her diapers and her rash cleared up pretty quickly.

We use tide and purex. We had stink issues w/ the more "natural" stuff.

We use several different creams with no issues on cloth diapers - with DD we used Balmex and Triple Paste, with DS we just use Triple Paste. Basically, you can't use any cream with fish oils in it - and I think Desitin does have fish oils. GL!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Yeah, I think you would be better off with natural fibres too, but you alreay have your stash.. and it could just be that the detergent wasn't rinsed out well enough? Also, are you using the same detergent for all of your laundry? you could get cross contamination if not.

Soap nuts are used for even ecszema, so I would buy soap nuts (and if you buy in bulk, you get free shipping) they actually work out cheaper than Tide etc.. and also, they cure stinky diapers!!! soap nuts grow on trees, and it's as natural as you can possibley get they are just a wonderful product, and you can even use them for your woolens etc too.

instead of a diaper cream, we used raw silk and it protected our dd's bottom. silk has natural healing powers...