kellyd is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Huggies Gel leak...

OK, on NYE I changed DS and when I removed the diaper he was covered in little gel balls. His skin was also really red and bumpy. So I'm guessing an allergic reaction to the gel stuff in them and figured it was a fluke since that was the first it had happened. I did immediately put him into cloth but don't have anything in cloth at home right now that fits him well so we're alternating cloth and sposies and making sure we change him super often. We've had 3 more instances where when I wipe him he is all of a sudden covered in little gel balls. I wipe him clean with a warm washcloth and all is well. WHAT is going on here. We've been using huggies for the majority of the last 4 months, but I was planning on going back to cloth because I prefer it. Is it normal that these gel packs leak out onto baby?
    Mom to DS born June 2008 and twin DD's August 2010

Same thing has happened to me, but only when I use Huggies. We won't be using them any more when I finish this box. We just use disposables at night or if we are going to be away from home.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

They only do that when they are over-loaded. His diaper was probably too wet to wick the urine away from his skin, so that is why he has diaper rash.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Pretty normal for Huggies when the diaper gets overloaded. They should be harmless, but I guess it's possible that he had a reaction to them. Odd, though, that he'd be fine with the gel in the diaper.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

kellyd is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

There is no way his diaper was overloaded... honestly the first time I saw it with the redness and bumps I had JUST changed a diaper not more than 15 minutes before. If that's why it happensed then I would expect it to happen every morning. Unless he is sleeping, seems uncomfortable, or has a poopy diaper I change him every hour and a 1/2 or more often. I truly hate the idea of him in a wet dipe.

We've been very lucky w/ lack of diaper rash... he reacts badly to pampers, they are too perfumey, but has been fine until this box of huggies.
    Mom to DS born June 2008 and twin DD's August 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    They only do that when they are over-loaded. His diaper was probably too wet to wick the urine away from his skin, so that is why he has diaper rash.

That'd be my first reaction, too, except that DS2 has the same problem with really lightly used Huggies. I think it's just reconstituted aloe vera, but I still don't like it.

That said, it happens in Pampers, too - or did for DS1.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew