Default Already have a diamond - Advice on choosing a jeweler?

I have my mother's engagement ring, but need to get it set with a new band. I'm only looking for a simple, solitaire, white gold band, but I don't know what jeweler to trust. I have heard of jewelers taking your diamond and switching it with another - this friend told me to have my diamond mapped before giving it to someone so that I can check it when it gets returned to me. I'm in the Twin Cities of MN - any advice on what jeweler to trust, or what questions to ask?
    Thanks!
    Katie

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ask your friends for recommendations first. If you can't find a glowing recommendation from any, then I suggest you take the stone to a store, have them discuss settings with you-order one or have one made for you BUT DO NOT HAVE THEM SET THE STONE UNLESS YOU ARE THERE TO WATCH.

My jeweler, who we are great personal friends with, always did this even before we were friends. It was standard procedure for them. Whoever they have doing "the work" usually has a work room and my jeweler always walked us back and we stood there watching every second. It is pretty normal around here-I don't think you should have a problem finding the same.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check the diamondtalk.com forums -- there are several jewelers there w/very good references.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.