Default Pampers versus Huggies Newborn size diapers?

We start out with disposable diapers in the first week until all the meconium is gone, and while my brain is still in a terrible fog. Then we switch to cloth.

In the past I have always LOVED Pampers Swaddlers because they are so soft and comfy, like a blanket. But now that Pampers added that mesh liner--UGH. I don't *think* we'll be buying them this time around.

I want something with the umbilical cord notch in them though. What about the Huggies Supreme diapers? Are they any good? Fit, leaks, softness, absorbency? Thanks!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Honestly, I think it is just personal preference. I do think that Huggies style diapers (which includes most store brands like CVS and Costco) tend to work better for skinnier babies. If you liked Pampers, try Luvs. They are also made by P&G and have a similar cut and style to the Pampers. They do have a Newborn size.

I am not at all brand loyal this time, I use whatever I can find the cheapest (which surprisingly is often the name brands because there are usually lots of coupons). I just don't find there to be that much difference between any of them. Certainly not, IMO, a difference worth paying for.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Still love swaddlers. The Huggies Supremes just did not fit well and seemed to leak more.

Hmmm...whichever one smells least bad to you? Pampers' smell makes me sick, some people think the same of Huggies, so yeah, definitely personal preference
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We use Huggies now that we are in a size 4 or 5.
    But I had horrible leaks and blowouts with Huggies in the newborn - size 2. I did pampers swaddlers in those sized.
    DD
    DS

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It really is baby dependent and personal preference. I used Swaddlers with DD, but then with the "improvement" of the mesh liner, it was a no go and we switched to Huggies Supreme. My DS just got out of the newborn sizes, we had the Swaddlers in the hospital and while I agree they are soft, I just can't stand that mesh liner and it broke him out. The Huggies Supreme are almost as soft, and have the awesome elastic waistband thing that I found invaluable for keeping in blowouts. We had blowouts in the Swaddlers, not in the Huggies.

So it really is your mileage may vary.

We've also tried regular Huggies and not as soft. I've just resigned myself to spending the extra $$ on Huggies Supreme and watching for deals and coupons.

With DD I tried everything...Luvs, White Cloud, Walgreens, CVS, Target...nothing even came close to huggies supreme for us.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Hmmm...whichever one smells least bad to you? Pampers' smell makes me sick, some people think the same of Huggies, so yeah, definitely personal preference
    I hate the way Pampers and Luvs smell. Yuck!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

I wasn't a fan of Pampers. I found them to be very flimsy. I use Seventh Generation and/or Earths Best diapers.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My boys were both long and skinny, and Huggies were horrible for both of them at the newborn stage (blowouts), but became my favorites (along with store brands) starting around size 3. When they were newborns, Pampers swaddlers worked for both of them. I haven't experienced the new Pampers mesh liner - haven't used Pampers now for probably 2.5 years.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009