Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ikea bed owners- box spring?

Can someone who knows about Ikea beds please tell me what the deal is with using box springs with them? Is it an option, or do you have to use the slatted platform thing? Does it make the bed way too tall if you do use them?

If you missed it in the Bargains forum, they're having a huge sale on a 3 pc set this Saturday, but I'm trying to figure out what I'd do with the boxspring if it wouldn't fit in the bed.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We tried the slatted option and we hated it. Way too much of a PITA. They do sell boxsprings and we returned the slats and got those. Don't know about using your own boxsprings - the dimensions on ikea things are often different from American sizes so I would be very careful on that!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

THe only ikea mattress we have is on my old childhood twin bed, which is one of those beds w/ the drawers under it (captain's bed?). It fits fine.

On our master bedroom bed, we have a non-Ikea natural latex mattress on a slatted platform frame (with a headboard attached). If we used a boxspring w/ that bed, it would have been really weird (proportions all off w/ headboard, etc.)

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DS sleeps on a Hemnes full size bed and has a box spring. His matress set is not from ikea. We got a low profile box spring and have the bed frame set on the lowest setting. It isn't really high.

Thanks guys. We're looking at a couple different Ikea headboards/beds, and the sale is too great to pass up, but the siderails on the bed just look so close to the ground, I wasn't sure the boxspring (which is part of the sale package) would work with them.

We're going to drive down there tonight to scope things out a bit.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    Thanks guys. We're looking at a couple different Ikea headboards/beds, and the sale is too great to pass up, but the siderails on the bed just look so close to the ground, I wasn't sure the boxspring (which is part of the sale package) would work with them.

We're going to drive down there tonight to scope things out a bit.
    Oooh, if you go tonight can you report back about how comfortable it is?...I was doing research at the university which is near Ikea but I didn't have time to go check it out. It's a $7 toll and 20 minute drive there so I won't be going back until Saturday when I'm sure it will be packed.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We don't have boxsprings on any of our beds. We have slats. We are all short, so I much prefer a shorter bed.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Sure! We were just there last weekend actually, and the Hasselback was the mattress I liked the best- very comfy- but I'm not sure which topper was on it at our store, so I'll have to get back to you on that. Whichever one it was was very soft and plush. I loved it, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to beds. DH prefers something firmer, but even he said he could live with it. If I don't get around to posting tonight, I definitely will tomorrow. It's a haul for us- way downtown, and we're up it the northern burbs, but there's no way I can really look at stuff carefully with DS in tow, and DH has to work Saturday.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    We don't have boxsprings on any of our beds. We have slats. We are all short, so I much prefer a shorter bed.

Is the actual bed (frame, headboard, etc) an Ikea one? Would the boxspring work if you didn't mind the height?
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla View Post
    Oooh, if you go tonight can you report back about how comfortable it is?...I was doing research at the university which is near Ikea but I didn't have time to go check it out. It's a $7 toll and 20 minute drive there so I won't be going back until Saturday when I'm sure it will be packed.
    Reporting back- Yep, the topper that was on the display is the one that's part of the sale. I still really like it, DS loved it, and DH has even decided that it's pretty darn comfortable. I'll be at Ikea with bells on Saturday morning.

And just in case anyone else was curious about the box spring fitting in the Ikea bed issue... of the 3 beds I looked at, all of them would accommodate either the box spring, OR the slatted platform. There were some beds that were very low to the ground that would not work, but none of them fit the look I was going for anyway.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast