Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default PSA: USPS to increase first-class stamp by 2 cents

(AP) "The U.S. Postal Service announced Tuesday that the price of a first-class stamp will rise to 44 cents on May 11.
    That gives plenty of time to stock up on Forever Stamps, which will continue to sell at the current 42-cent rate until the increase occurs. They will remain valid in the future regardless of rate hikes."

I wonder when they will conveniently run out of forever stamps?
    Mama to 3

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe even not so conveniently. There's a limited supply, demand will go up when people know that the price is about to go up and these will be a "value" and they can't raise the price to go with the demand. Therefore, there will likely not be enough to go around.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm still using .41 stamps with a penny make-up. Guess I need to go get more penny stamps (d**m, they took away the self-serve vending machines and now I need to go to the counter). Thank goodness for online payments.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

I also found out yesterday that priority rates have gone up. I put a flat rate stamp on and when I went to drop it off I owed $.15. Aargh.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

As much as I detest them constantly raising the postage rates, there was a really interesting article in Smithsonian magazine (yeah, I'm a nerd) a few years ago about how extremely low the rate is compared to how it used to be via pony express. If we converted what it costs now to send a letter to back-then times, it would cost at least $30 plus extra time to race those ponies cross-country.

Don't mean to open a can of worms, but the rate of inflation on fuel is lower than almost every other everyday consumer product in America.
    Last edited by bluestarfish18; 02-11-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Crazy!! I'm still trying to get rid of my .39!

Heck, I didn't even know they had raised it to 42 cents until a couple of months ago! I TOTALLY missed that one. I had mailed a couple of thank you cards and luckily my mail carrier was nice enough to put them back in the box with a note that said they needed 42 cents. I was like...huh? When did that happen??? I still have at least 10 41 cent stamps left, too. I guess next time I go to Costco, I'll pick up some Forever stamps.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Don't laugh, but I have a sheet or two of 37 cent stamps that I was still doctoring up with 1,2, and 4-cent stamps. And DH will only use the plain forever or flag stamps, leaving me with all the old ones. All my mailings look crazy.

I just found a .34 stamp. How long ago was that? I *really* should clean out my desk more often.
    Mama to 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast