bnme is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default 3 days in Tampa area, WWYD?

My parents recently moved to the Tampa area (Hudson) and we will be visiting for the first time in a few weeks (it will just be me and my 4 & 6yo). We have 3 full days and aren't going to WDW. I know Sea World isn't far. Any other recommendations for things to do with the kids? Doesn't have to be theme park and I'd like some ideas that aren't all-day things since we may visit with some relatives, etc.

TIA!
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We do Lowry Park Zoo when we're there (local zoo membership with reciprocity there), and the FLA Aquarium was ALWAYS a HUGE hit for field trips with my 1-3rd grade classes. We'll be there next month visiting too, adding the Aquarium this time. Great Explorations, the children's museum in St. Pete, was good for us b/c our kids needed to be on the floor running around on their own and our children's museum passes got us in free. I haven't been in years, but the Museum of Science and Industry may be okay for that age also - MOSI. Adventure Island and Busch Gardens are wonderful too, but more "whole day" than you might be looking for.

Find a good outdoor state park in the area. Natural Florida - like Ft. DeSoto or something is interesting and different in terms of landscape.

Thanks! The aquarium and zoo look great. If you were only going to do one day in a theme park would you do Sea World or Busch Gardens? My kids love rides and fireworks/parades etc (like at WDW). I'm worried that Sea World may be to many shows for my kids. They are 4.5 & 6.

TIA!
    Donna

If your kids like rides, etc., I think Busch Gardens is the way to go, and it is closer to Tampa than Sea World. My FIL lives near Tampa, and we go often, but don't often do WDW. Two places that have been intriguing us but we haven't tried yet are Fantasy of Flight and Dinosaur World. You might want to check them out.

P.S. If you are looking for an AMAZING, but EXPENSIVE steak dinner, Bern's is truly an experience.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, Busch Gardens!!! The animals there are amazing. You'll spend a couple hours driving to/from Sea World, but BG is IN the middle of Tampa.

Last week, I saw Berns was part of Restaurant.com, but the certificates were all sold out. I can't find it on there now.

Dinosaur World looks neat!

Do you think Busch Gardens is good for a 4.5 & 6yo? We'll be with Grandparents also. It seemed to be mostly shows. Is it similar to Animal Kingdom? I'll have to check out their website.
    Donna

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yankees spring training- games are very cheap!

Big thumbs up on Berns! If you don't want the whole dinner, just go for dessert.