Default Moving-on-up question

What can I get that's just a little bigger than the MA, something that I can use for just another couple of years? I think my 5-year-old is too tall for her MA, and I would like to get something that she can use for about 2 years (harnessed, preferably, and less expensive than the Frontier) and then pass on to her younger sister, and upgrade to something bigger at that point.

The reason why I ask for these very specific parameters is because I should've done something similar for their convertible car seats a few years ago. I could've saved some money by getting a RA for my firstborn, passing it down to the second, and upgraded the firstborn to a MA at that point. And then at this point, when my firstborn is ready to upgrade to something bigger, my secondborn could take the MA.

They're only 2 years apart in age, and so the issue of car seat expiration is not really relevant, I think, as long as I don't buy used.

I hope my question makes sense...

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We almost got a Graco Nautilus, but DH opted for the Frontier, he liked the fabric and quality better. The Frontier will last 9 years; not sure about the Nautilus. I think that you will get your money's worth out of the Frontier, esp. if you use it for two children.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We went with the Nautilus (after putting DS in both the Nautilus & Frontier at different stores). He had more shoulder room in the harness in the Nautilus, so will be able to remain harnessed a bit longer. Plus, he likes his cupholder-- he asks to ride in Daddy's car because of it. We intend on using it as a booster after he outgrows the harness.

He has a Regent in our other car, and still has plenty of shoulder room. It's still $$$, though.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

What's the maximum seated shoulder height for the Nautilus?

The Nautilus is about 18.5 with the harness, the Frontier is about 18.25, but I've seen at least one kid appear to have MORE growing room in the Frontier. That may be because there is a LOT more crotch and shoulder space in the Frontier...the Nautilus is a lot squishier in comparison...shorter crotch and seat depth, narrower shoulder space...like it pushes the kid more upright so they reach the top slots faster? Something like that, lol. My dd outgrew the Marathon at 6 (I know Britax lists 16 as the top shoulder height, but it really is 17 when the shoulders creep above the slots and the seat is outgrown), the Frontier and Nautilus at 8.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#