Default Can I sell a used car seat?

I have 3, two Britax and one Graco. I know one was manufactured in 2005 and the other two I am not sure. It is illegal to sell them on Craigslist? They have never been in an accident and are all in great condition!

Thanks, Ann

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Every other listing on CL here seems to be a car seat. They are definitely not illegal to sell used. I just wouldn't sell anything that I wouldn't use for my own child (if they still fit in the seat).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    Every other listing on CL here seems to be a car seat. They are definitely not illegal to sell used. I just wouldn't sell anything that I wouldn't use for my own child (if they still fit in the seat).
    They still have a ton of use in them, I just did not want to sell them if there was some law against it!

Thanks!
    Ann

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My CPS tech friend who is also a CA highway patrol officer doesn't like it when people buy seats that aren't new in the box from Craigslist, Ebay, or rummage sales because the buyer doesn't know the history. Some seats that are in accidents show no damage, but could still be not as safe as non accident seats. It's not illegal he says, but he'd rather someone bought a cheaper new seat than buying a $$$ seat used.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    My CPS tech friend who is also a CA highway patrol officer doesn't like it when people buy seats that aren't new in the box from Craigslist, Ebay, or rummage sales because the buyer doesn't know the history. Some seats that are in accidents show no damage, but could still be not as safe as non accident seats. It's not illegal he says, but he'd rather someone bought a cheaper new seat than buying a $$$ seat used.
    I'd never buy one, but I'd sell mine. I know mine are still good and haven't been in an accident, so I'm comfortable selling it.
    Kris

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I sold my snugride to an immigrant family at my friend's garage sale. They showed up with a newborn, which they OBVIOUSLY did not have a seat for (and they drove there, b/c I saw them pull up) and two older kids. The seat was practically brand new, and I showed them the instruction booklet and the DOM. I even offered to help them install the seat, but they said that was ok, they would do it. The scary thing is that a woman from my church was using her dd's carseat from 18 yrs ago for her grand daughter!!!! I told her that she couldn't do that, b/c carseats expire and she had no clue and had even bought expired seats at garage sales before w/o realizing how dangerous it is. She was really shocked when she realize what a huge mistake she had made. It is amazing how little ppl know about carseat expiration and safety...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Here's the Used Seat Checklist... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx

I would only buy a used seat from a trusted person, but selling a GOOD seat, with warnings about the expiration date, especially, is fine to do.

Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#