Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jenfromnj is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How many size 1 diapers to stockpile?

I am due in a couple of weeks with my first, and we are trying to prepare as much as we can in advance by making purchases of diapers, wipes, etc. I already have 1 large box of newborn diapers, and 1 large box (216) of size 1 diapers. I'm thinking that we'll need at least 1 more box, but wondering if I should pick up 2 or 3 more boxes. If anyone wouldn't mind sharing approximately how many size 1s they used, I'd definitely appreciate it!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd return the newborn box and go with smaller packages. At least unopened packages can be returned if you don't use them. I used less than one jumbo pack of newborn diapers between BOTH of my boys (just over 8lbs at birth) so a box would have been a huge waste for me. Others use newborn dipes for months; until your baby is here, you won't know which camp you fall in.

I'd also stick with the single box of size 1 dipes for now. It's not like it is hard to get out and buy dipes once you know what works for your baby. Even brands are different - we had good luck with Pampers in small sizes but not Huggies; once we hit size 3, it switched.

Even wipes can be tricky! DS1 had horrible reactions to wipes due to sensitive skin so we had to try different types before finding one that worked for him. DS2 does not have the same sensitive skin so we've been able to use any type of wipe on him.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I'd go with size 3 or 4 for stockpiling. Both my kids wore size 4 from 16# on. For #1 it was 8 months, for #2 2m.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

It really depends on your baby and his/her size. My son went through newborns, 1's, 2's, and 3's pretty fast. The weight on the side of the box isn't always accurate. And I would rather have a diaper that is a little big than one that is too small and leaking.

I'd keep both boxes honestly and just buy the big boxes as needed. Better yet-get a membership to sam's or costco and just get them in bulk when you need them. We buy ds's diapers on one paycheck and dd's on the next each month. It's about $30 for a months worth of diapers give or take. That way we don't have too many cluttering up the house.

I personally found the newborn diapers to be very useful. You have to fold down the size 1 diapers to accomodate the umbilical cord, the newborns you don't have to do anything to, huggies newborn diapers come with the cutout for the umbilical stump, we had a big box of almost 100 of those from bru and I bought one additional package from target before we upgraded to the size 1's from sam's. Actually the newborns still fit her-I used one this afternoon and she's a month old tomorrow.

Don't know about the wipes-we've always used huggies wipes unless ds is on augmentin in which case I use wet paper towels.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

None. I think that you should wait till the baby is here and take it a bit at a time because you don't know what brand and size will work for you. Even though my ds2 was 9lbs9oz at birth we used newborn diapers for at least a month.

Beth

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd call it good with what you have for boxes. Actually, I'd either return the box of newborn or add a smaller bag in that size. It took me 3 kids to use up my Jumbo newborns.

But, I'd probably jump on the Walgreens deal for their brand this week and Huggies next week. You just can't beat the prices! And, since you can get the small sizes for Huggies, you will pay $5 before rebates for 3 packs and $2.75 after rebates.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We figure about 10-12 diapers/day the first few weeks. That means a box of 96 N lasts us about 10 days. We've gone through up to 3 boxes of N before we moved into size 1, and we stayed there for a couple boxes, then went through a box of 1-2, then a box or so of 2-3, then we finally got to size 3, where we stay for several months.

We do stockpile, but ONLY if there is a $10 off a box of Pampers brand deal going on. Otherwise, just check diapercheapskate.com or here and see if there is any way to stack diaper deals at BRU.

We always buy the big boxes of Huggies Sensitive wipes at Sams Club as they are our favorite by far.

You'll not know until the birth how big your baby will really be and how fast he'll gain. Ours are slow.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another reason not to stockpile: You don't know which diapers would work for you. Pampers have not worked for my son. So we use Huggies and other diapers. So a bunch of $10 off boxes of Pampers, for us, would have been wasted. More work to take back or to find someone to sell them to.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Don't stockpile size 1's. DS was out of size 1 by the time he was 3 weeks old. DD is 3 mos and still has room to spare. Both were similar birthweights. Also, we had planned to use Pampers, but they gave DS a terrible rash, plus the scent in them was really unpleasant for both DH and I, so we ended up going with Huggies.

ETA: We only used the pack of NB size dipes that the hospital provided for DS, and then he went straight into 1's. DD was in NB's for a couple of weeks.

Diapers go on sale often, and you can always find a coupon.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast