maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Feedback on 3 Day PT'ing or PT Boot Camp?

I am thinking of doing the official 3 day potty training over this long weekend.

Of course, I haven't bought the ebook yet, but I am getting close....

I also saw Potty Training Boot Camp (think that's what it is called) on Amazon, and may get that.

Anyone have any experience with either of those?

Thing is, I understand both are kind of harsh, and we are much more gentle in parenting. DS seems very ready, says he wants to say bye-bye to diapers. I guess one of my driving thoughts is that we will have a new baby in early september, we are moving by august, and he is also starting 2 days of preschool in September -- therefore, I feel like if I don't do it now, it will be a year until I really put any effort into it.

I know I have to be really committed to do either of these approaches, and I'm not quite there -- I don't mind changing his diapers, I appreciate the convenience, etc. Just trying to seize the moment and no big if it doesn't work.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We read the potty training in one day book and tried it. Backfired big time. My girls freaked out a little and went ALL day from 8-2 without peeing at all, despite pushing juice and everything. We even had the props, the doll that goes potty, lots of treats and juice, and they were showing readiness signs. I am SOOOOOOO dreading potty-training.
    I know it can definitely work for some kids but it was a big bust for us. Like you said, maybe I wasn't 100% committed to the method!
    Let us know how it goes!

I used the Potty Training Boot Camp method for DD at age 2 (now 2.5). We both did great - we were both committed to the process.

My DH and I are more gentle in our parenting approach than the Potty Boot Camp - author suggests doing "potty drills" when the DC has an accident. I personally thought that was a bit too much and omitted this part of the process - other than the drills, DD "PT'd" in 2 days. We rarely have accidents and really no other issues to report on. She is still not PT'd at night - but I hear that is a separate process all together.

I had a 3 mo DS when DD started PT - it was not ideal for ME .... but everything worked out fine for everyone.

Wishing you good luck - it will be fine!

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom pt'd me over a long weekend.....don't remember a darn thing about it....which I guess means I'm not traumatized!! She says she gave me salty snack and tons of water...we hung out in the kitchen all day with me wearing big girl underwear....if I had an accident I washed my panties out....not sure if this is anything like the two methods you mentioned!!
    I like the idea of quickly potty training...rather than dragging it out.......I'm about a year out from trying it though!

Good luck!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I did a week long potty training with all 3 of my older boys. I didnt know there was a book called potty boot camp but thats basiclly what we did/called it. All 3 were out of daytime diapers by 2 1/2.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I did potty training in a day with my last two and it worked great. G had it down by the end of that day (including pooping) and M took a couple extra days to really have it. I didn't use the doll but they were responsible for cleaning up the messes and that's what I think really inspired them. That and the Skittles....
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"