twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cloth diapers - fleece liner or not?

I cloth diapered my twins using cotton prefolds/thirsties covers for the first 3 months, then used cotton fitteds with covers for another month. I LOVED using cloth. The problem is that my babies get rashes from the wetness against their skin. I wanted to use cotton AIOs (Blue Penguin's SposoEasy, which I love) but the cotton does keep wetness against the skin. I've had to switch to disposables along with Aveeno rash cream and rinsing only with water to keep the rash from coming back and this system works well. I miss cloth diapering though...my question is: are pocket diapers/AIO's with fleece linings similar to disposables in that they keep wetness away from the skin? My other question is: are AIOs cost-effective (and I would want AIOs...the babies are much too wiggly to bother with anything more complicated...it's even hard to get a sposie on them!), considering that I have twins and would have to buy enough to do laundry every day (and we don't plan on having any more children). We currently use Kirkland's diapers. I know there is resale value...but my twins are 8 months old now. Is it even worth going back to cloth? I really miss it but would only go back if there are significant cost advantages, and if I could keep that rash from coming back. Oh, I guess the other problem is that I plan to start them in day care when they are 1-1.5 yrs old...has anyone actually used a day care that accepts cloth diapered babies? At this point the environment has had to take a back seat...but I do try in other areas to reduce what we toss in the garbage.

post your Q in diaperswappers.com or thepin.com - you will get more answers!

I think that you might like some of the AIOs with fleece, but it is so hard to know unless you try them. A lot of people just cut up some fleece liners and use them in the diaper of your choice if the wetness is the aggravating factor.

I have a bit of everything. Fitteds, AIOs, pockets, flats, wool. Apparently I can't make up my mind! Right now I am liking my fitteds the best - uncovered at home, so I know when she is wet, then change her right away. But then I am easily sucked in by the cute patterns so that is also why I am liking them right now!

Good luck!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used Fuzzibunz (pockets) and a couple of different AIOs. I much preferred the pocket diapers to the AIOs for a couple of reasons. They dry MUCH faster - I had to run the AIOs through 2-3 cycles of the dryer. In contrast, the Fuzzibunz were practically dry when I took them out of the washer! The second reason I preferred pocket dipes is that you can add as much stuffing as you need. For nighttime, I could add 2-3 inserts, and they'd absorb all the nighttime pee and keep my kiddos dry. During the day, I only needed 1 insert.

I'm not sure that any of the cloth dipes I used had as dry a feel as disposables. (FWIW, I use Kirkland disposables, too.) But, I never tried fleece liners. I imagine they'd work similar to the Fuzzibunz, though, since those are fleece.

I hope this helps a bit!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The thing is, you don't know if their rash was related to your wash routine (those are soooo hard to refine) or the wetness factor. I'd try cutting up some cheap fleece and lining your current diapers to see if that helps them. I didn't find that fleece kept skin as dry as disposables, but it did make it much easier to clean up poopy messes (and tends not to stain).

Day cares really vary on whether they will accept cloth diapers, but my general impression is that they tend not to (but that's not a rule - you'd have to ask around in your area).

I never liked AIOs as they seemed the most prone to leaking of all the dipes we used. Pockets are pretty good because you can adjust the absorbency, but it is critical to get a good fit at the legs or poop will escape, so that can involve some trial and error. I found that fitteds plus pull-on covers were really easy with DS2, even as he got much older and more mobile. And they leaked a lot less than pockets or AIOs for us.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I tried a little of everything (fitteds, prefolds, aio & pockets) at first. We ended up with pockets, because LO would cry as soon has he peed and felt the wetness. I never failed that he would pee right after a diaper change with fitted or prefolds. We did not have that problem with pockets. DH being skeptical would feel the pocket dipe after a change and notice that it felt dry. We ended up with pockets, they work better for DS and him squirting everywhere.

I am in love with Mommy's Touch. It has an opening at that front and back so the insert comes out in the wash, so no removing the insert after changing LO. Mommy's Touch is a one-size dipe so what you bought now would last till PT.

The rash could have been related to detergent. You have to make sure to rinse all the detergent out of cd's. Many detergents are designed to leave a residue on the clothes.

Page is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I've used strips of anti-pill fleece inside my dipes for quite a while and DD has done great with that. They definitely keep her feeling dryer, but not sure if it's what you'd call "comparable" to sposies.

I think you should switch back because you sound so happy about using cloth. Yes, fleece does create a stay-dry feeling and might reduce or eliminate the rash, but no, it is not as stay-dry as disposables. I agree with pp who say buy some fleece at fabric store, cut it into rectangles and lay it the cloth you have to see if it improves things. If so, you've got your rash problem solved.

I think most cloth would be cost-effective if you include resale value. You do have to be the kind of person who will invest time and effort in re-selling, though. I think you make at least 50% of the price back in re-selling cloth, usually more like 70%. I bought my whole newborn stash used and sold it all on diaperswappers.com and, after subtracting my shipping costs, I made back 67% of the purchase price.

I like Blue Penguin AIOs and do often put a liner in them. It reduces staining on the flannel. I don't have leaking problems with them, but do with many other AIOs. You might look into Nana's Bottoms, which can be an inexpensive AIO. Or try the pocket diapers that others recommended, especially the one-size options. One-size would be especially cost-effective in your situation. bumGenius is probably the best seller, but there are many others: Mommy's Touch, Happy Heiney, Komfy Kidz, Haute Pockets. All pockets are lined with either fleece or suedecloth for a stay-dry feeling, and both work about the same.

See the samplers here; I didn't look at shipping costs, but the one at Angel Bunz seems to be a really good deal.

http://www.angelbunz.com/OneSizeSampler.html
    http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=276
    http://www.heinyking.com/store/p/338...pler-Pack.html
    http://www.earthangelsdiaperco.com/d...er-Sampler.htm
    http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/PocketSampler.html
    http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...tdiapersampler
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a big stash or organic cotton AIO's that I had to sell because the wetness gave my son a rash, I tried many different washing routines, and still he'd get a rash. So I determined this was the cause because the fleece diapers (I had a few bumgenius pockets) did not give him a rash. So now we use only fleece lined AIO's and pocket and no rash. If you go with the one-size pockets it's a very affordable option because you don't hae to get a stash of every size. We're very happy.
    But first be sure to rule out other causes.