Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There really isn't a need to stock pile diapers before baby arrives-- what you have should be plenty. Stock-piling is just one of those manic things that you feel you need to do. You will be able to get diapers after you have the baby, so there's no need to buy a several month supply beforehand. Just make sure to put it on your to do list when you're down to a weeks worth of diapers. You might even find that a trip to buy diapers is a welcomed chance to leave the house.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    There really isn't a need to stock pile diapers before baby arrives-- what you have should be plenty. Stock-piling is just one of those manic things that you feel you need to do. You will be able to get diapers after you have the baby, so there's no need to buy a several month supply beforehand. Just make sure to put it on your to do list when you're down to a weeks worth of diapers. You might even find that a trip to buy diapers is a welcomed chance to leave the house.
    But, getting the best price isn't always possible. That's why I stockpile things, not because I can't buy it later, but because I don't want to pay $10 for a bag of diapers. Right now, Walgreen's brand are $2.50/bag after coupons. It's months between these sales. And, next week, you can get 3 bags of Huggies for $2.75 after sales, coupons, and rebates. So, I do stockpile to get them at that price.
    Kris

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With DD I didn't stockpile. I had 1 small package of newborns. I ended up sending DH out for one more package. She outgrew them in 4 days. I went with a size 1 for about a box. Then went to 1-2, then 2, then 2-3. DD was in size 3 diapers by about 2 months. She then stayed in those for a few months and was in size 4 until 10 months. My point is that DD moved up very fast. She was a huge eater and gained like crazy (her weight is in her hips, thighs and rear which is why I had to get the bigger diapers so soon). Plus, you never know if your DC will have issues with any of the diapers. DD can only do pampers. She has severe excema and has issues with just about every other brand we have tried.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    But, getting the best price isn't always possible. That's why I stockpile things, not because I can't buy it later, but because I don't want to pay $10 for a bag of diapers. Right now, Walgreen's brand are $2.50/bag after coupons. It's months between these sales. And, next week, you can get 3 bags of Huggies for $2.75 after sales, coupons, and rebates. So, I do stockpile to get them at that price.
    But this is a different definition of stockpiling than the PP used, I believe. Couponers (including Kris and me) stockpile when we find an amazing deal that doesn't come along very often, knowing that there is some small risk that we won't use the item but it is much more likely than not that we will. Most new moms stockpile as a nesting thing - not because the prices are very good but because they don't realize how *desperately* they will want to waddle to Target for diapers at 1w post-partum because they are already sick of being cooped up at home.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Personally, I'd return the NB dipes and hold onto the size 1s. Both DC were out of NB dipes at 1 DAY old. Yep, you read that right. The nurses at the hospital had to go to peds and get size 1 diapers for our kids. If you are delivering in a hospital, you'll probably get a bunch (we got a whole bag of size 1) of dipes to take home. When you're done with those, if you still need NB, send out DH, or take a trip to Target to pick up another bag.
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Quote Originally Posted by schums View Post
    Personally, I'd return the NB dipes and hold onto the size 1s. Both DC were out of NB dipes at 1 DAY old. Yep, you read that right. The nurses at the hospital had to go to peds and get size 1 diapers for our kids. If you are delivering in a hospital, you'll probably get a bunch (we got a whole bag of size 1) of dipes to take home. When you're done with those, if you still need NB, send out DH, or take a trip to Target to pick up another bag.
    I had babies at 2 different hospitals Neither used NB diapers and instead started in size 1. I wondered why, but never remembered to ask.

I also never got any diapers to take home, so definitely have some, just in case.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    But this is a different definition of stockpiling than the PP used, I believe. Couponers (including Kris and me) stockpile when we find an amazing deal that doesn't come along very often, knowing that there is some small risk that we won't use the item but it is much more likely than not that we will. Most new moms stockpile as a nesting thing - not because the prices are very good but because they don't realize how *desperately* they will want to waddle to Target for diapers at 1w post-partum because they are already sick of being cooped up at home.
    You're probably right. But, I figured I'd point out those diaper deals, just in case .

Buying Walgreen's brand is great for stockpiling. I just exchanged 10 bags of size 3 for size 4 because I guessed wrong and it was not a problem and no hassle, since it's store brand.
    Kris

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son grew VERY quickly and only wore each size for one or two weeks. He was in size 4 by 4 months old!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    ITA with this. Once you have some idea of what works for your LO stockpiling in larger sizes when deals come up is a great idea. You should see under DDs crib-- it's all stocked up from the last BRU $10 off deal. Hopefully I picked the right sizes.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 5 mo is wearing 3's if that helps.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast