veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Quick Help needed - DD's earring ripped open the hole in her ear!!!

this must have happened within the last day or to. Her ears have been pierced since she was 5 months with no issues (so almost three years now). last night, in the bath, I noticed a little crud but she was fussy so I made a note to take a look today. Well, the earring (no dangles or anything, just a small heart) was placed in ok but it seems as though it must have gotten pulled , most likely by dressing and undressing her, so that the hole ripped. It isn't ripped completed through the earlobe, it's just that now, instead of a little hole for her earring, it is more like a small line accross.

So , do I just keep the earring in (right now, I took it out and cleaned her ear with alcohol and she is fine and napping). do I leave it out for a while to see if the opening gets smaller (but I fear that would run the risk of the hole closing and we would have to pierce again). Or, do I have to let the hole close and wait to re-pierce?? Time is limited as I know the hole will close without an earring in there

what do I do???
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

First, I'd call the doctor.

Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about the hole closing. (If it does, so what?) I'd be most concerned with the larger tear remaining open or with an infection.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend has a large tear in her ear lobe from her earring being ripped out (caught on something) as an infant. Scared the crap out of me to the point that I don't wear dangly earrings and couldn't get an infants ears pierced. I would call the Dr. now and let them decide what is best to do.

Beth

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call the doctor first. Then take out both earrings, let the holes close, and re-pierce when she's older.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Call the doctor first. Then take out both earrings, let the holes close, and re-pierce when she's older.

This is a lot more common than people realize. My grandfather was an ENT and he had to deal with ripped out earrings all the time.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

that happened to dd when she was about one yr. (ears were pierced at 4 mo.s). i asked around and checked with our ped, but no one really knew what to do. I decided to just let it close and re-pierce it later. After it closed, i took dd to a ped who pierces ears. the ped said that it would have been better to stitch the elongated whole closed (just at the bottom, leaving the original whole open.) she said that if you let the whole close, repiercing can be difficult if there is scar tissue in the way. it is also more likely to re-slit because the the skin is weaker.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    why both? when it happened to dd, i just took out the one that slit and let that one close. so later, we only had to have one ear pierced. I didn't want to deal with potential problems in both ears.