Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Atlanta, GA in June

We are going to spend 4 or 5 days in Atlanta in the beginning of June. Suggestions for hwere to eat and things to do? I have a 2 year old son. 1 day will be Zoo Atlanta and 1 day will be the Aquarium. Looking for shorter things to do the other days and good places to go for dinner.
    Thanks!
    Andrea

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What part of town will you be staying in?

Not sure yet-- looking for places to stay also-- we would rather not be in downtown and have stayed before in a suburb outside of Atlanta. We would like a hotel with a suite set up- living room/kitchen and a separate bedroom so we can put DS to bed and stay up longer.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We may be making a similar trip to visit family. I haven't been to the area in ages, but I grew up in the suburbs. I was thinking aquarium also.

You might want to consider Stone Mountain. There are also lakes (Lanier? Altoona? something like that, I think). The North GA mountains can be nice - maybe Helen?

I haven't been to any of these places in about 20 years (seriously), so I hope someone who lives there can offer more suggestions!

eta: oh yeah, people used to float on the Chattahoochee back in the day... not sure if they still do.
    Last edited by fivi2; 03-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Stone Mountain looks like a lot of fun but I think that we will put that off til he is a bit older and can do more of the ropes course stuff-- that all looks like fun!
    I will look into the Lakes-- esp. if it will hot when we go!

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've lived here for 15 years and just last week visited the Center for Puppetry Arts for the first time. It is *really* cool and I regret not going sooner. It may be a *little* over a 2 YO's head, but I doubt it - even my 1 YO was rapt during the puppet show we saw (Weather Rocks!). Plus, they have all of Jim Henson's stuff right now, which was cool for my son (Big Bird) and for me (Swedish Chef).

Don't bother with the lakes - we're in the middle of a hee-yoooge drought. The lakes are mainly red mud. At least, Lake Lanier is. Lake Allatoona has water, and there's even a beach in Acworth.

You don't want to float in the Chattahoochee, unless you dig fecal things, and this isn't that kind of board. BUT, the Chattahoochee Nature Center is super cool and is a great place or a picnic and a nature walk. The paths are even stroller-friendly.

Check out the Cumberland Mall area for hotels - there are several nice suite hotels in the area and at the intersection of I-75 and I-285, you're about 15-20 minutes from everywhere else.

That is great info! I will check around there for a hotel and gotcha-- no floating in the Chattahoochee! LOL! The nature center might be nice to hang out at for our "quieter" afternoon but even though I think the Puppet place sounds cool, DH just gave me "the look" so not sure that will fly!
    thanks for the help,
    Andrea
    Last edited by bunyvet; 03-13-2009 at 09:42 PM.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TonFirst View Post
    I've lived here for 15 years and just last week visited the Center for Puppetry Arts for the first time. It is *really* cool and I regret not going sooner. It may be a *little* over a 2 YO's head, but I doubt it - even my 1 YO was rapt during the puppet show we saw (Weather Rocks!). Plus, they have all of Jim Henson's stuff right now, which was cool for my son (Big Bird) and for me (Swedish Chef).

Don't bother with the lakes - we're in the middle of a hee-yoooge drought. The lakes are mainly red mud. At least, Lake Lanier is. Lake Allatoona has water, and there's even a beach in Acworth.

You don't want to float in the Chattahoochee, unless you dig fecal things, and this isn't that kind of board. BUT, the Chattahoochee Nature Center is super cool and is a great place or a picnic and a nature walk. The paths are even stroller-friendly.

Check out the Cumberland Mall area for hotels - there are several nice suite hotels in the area and at the intersection of I-75 and I-285, you're about 15-20 minutes from everywhere else.
    lol! This is why it is good to have people who have been there more recently than 20 years ago! So much for rivers and lakes! sorry - I guess places change when you've been gone for a while

Thanks for the info on the Center for Puppetry Arts - that sounds really cool.

Does anyone know if the Entertainment Book is a good purchase for Atlanta-- i can get it at a discount but was wondering if the aquarium, children's museum or any good restaurants are in there.
    thanks!

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've never actually used an Entertainment book in Atlanta. I'd look for online specials before I'd shell out for a book, fwiw.

A better deal is probably the Atlanta CityPass:

http://www.citypass.com/city/atlanta...nK&id=nNoo6EnK

Of the attractions included in the $49 - kids and $69 - adults, the Zoo, the Aquarium, Fernbank, the Botanical Gardens are all tip-top for a 2 YO. As is the History Center - the Tullie Smith Farm is really neat. I have never been to the World of Coke, but it's in a brand new space right next to the Aquarium. I love the High, but it may be a little dull for a 2 YO - but the terracotta army exhibit is supposed to be super cool. I've never done the CNN Studio Tour either, but it sounds cool and I've seen plenty of people with strollers there.

The Atlanta CVB site has a lot of good info:

http://www.atlanta.net/

And you may also want to try ordering the ATL info packet - Atlanta Now magazine has a ton of info about upcoming events and generally has some coupons, also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast