Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Is it safe to travel on a bus with an infant?

Hi all! My knowledge of urban living isn't great. How do people go on buses with babies? Obviously, car seats won't work, so how are the infants kept secure? Do we just say that since city buses move so slowly, the infants are secure enough in a stroller?

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this question makes me seem naive!
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

As infants, I kept both of my boys strapped in the stroller while on the bus. The most important thing to remember is to keep the brakes locked. Some of the buses that I have ridden have straps for attaching wheel chairs to the bus and I suppose you could use those as well. Also, you might check with the bus company to be sure that unfolded strollers are allowed on the bus.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am also NOT a city dweller, but the last time we visited Chicago, the bus driver would not allow an unfolded stroller on the bus, because it was too crowded. Since I always feared that would happen, I put DS in our Ergo baby carrier while on the bus.

I don't know if any option is super safe, but i would think that a baby that's strapped in would the best chance of surviving a low-speed crash.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So well logistically/physics would suggest that buses have the same issues that cars have to some extent. Upon impact objects (including children) become projectiles and are in danger. That said, for the most part buses are going what 10-30 miles per hour? They are easy to see and so are likely not hit as often? I'd say they aren't as safe as being in a carseat in a car but on occasion I am ok with them as long as they aren't on the highway. You might want to post this in the carseat forum!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

we use our travel system alot here in downtown Chicago if we knew we were going to be doing a lot of bus travel -- stroller MUST BE FOLDED when on the bus here (insert happy dance for my Mosaic), I just put the infant carrier on the floor wedged up against my seat -- since I didn't want baby pinned in place while sightseeing, I would loosen the straps a bit and undo just the chest clip (essentially giving him a lap belt to stay put in the stroller, while trying to lessen the 'negatives' of a travel system)