Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default The latest in Fairy's Kitchen Mishaps: Can I Still Eat This?

I never said I was good in the kitchen. In fact, I'm barely scraping by. And by scraping, I mean that literally half the time, as I scrape the schmutz from the bottom of my pans post-meal more often-than not. You can go ahead and laugh at me, it's ok, I don't care. Here is my latest adventure in mishaps, and I'd appreciate if someone out there could tell me if I can still eat these eggs or not?

Before you ask where the water is, it got boiled off. See, I wanted something to eat when I wore up this very late morning (DH let me sleep in, as I don't work on Fridays), and there was nothing much I could have for a snacky since it was so close to lunch, and I didn't wanna make a lunch yet. So, I thought, damn, this is where a hardboiled egg comes in handy, and I've had alot of those on this diet, so I put some on to boil for this weekend's snacks. 45 minutes later, DH comes down and spies the stove and asks me why I'm boiling eggs dry. I shout an expletive and see that my pot has been boiling nothing but dry eggs for what must be a very long time, as you can see from the photo.

I put them in cold water, the pot *looks* ok kinda. I opened an egg, one burned spot, took it off, and sniffed. Not smelling like it went bad, but not smelling right either. small bite. It could pass muster in my tuna salad. So -->

1. Would you eat the eggs?
    2. Is my pot ok?

Discuss, use me for fodder elsewhere, whatever ya need to do, as long as someone doesn't mind chiming in. Thanks.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Of course you can eat it.. it's just very hard boiled.

Pot can be soaked, cleaned, used.

Happens to everyone.. has happened to me. Don't beat yourself up so much!

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Fairy, I've missed your kitchen mishap threads! Love this!

And I would definite still eat the eggs and toss the pot in the dishwasher.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

You can eat them. They won't hurt you . I've done that. Just soak your pot in hot soapy water. . No real harm done . Enjoy your eggs, I'm sure they taste fine.

Sent from my iPhone
    Steph
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

to all of the above.

FWIW, lucky you caught this when you did. I nearly burnt our house down years back doing the same thing. The pot completely burned through and the eggs were charcoal. Extensive smoke damage everywhere AND the restoration people told me that protein fires were the worst to get rid of smell. It was horrible.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would eat it, not sure if it would taste great though. Don't think it's a safety issue of any kind. I had a horrible burned pot issue, and was told to sprinkle lots of baking soda and water and bring it to a low boil for a minute. It cleaned up almost perfectly, in case the pot needs a little TLC!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    to all of the above.

FWIW, lucky you caught this when you did. I nearly burnt our house down years back doing the same thing. The pot completely burned through and the eggs were charcoal. Extensive smoke damage everywhere AND the restoration people told me that protein fires were the worst to get rid of smell. It was horrible.
    This is what I was going to say. Fairy, the eggs should be fine but you really got lucky. I have a relative whose house truly burnt down from a pot of eggs. It was a horrible fire & so sad.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.