Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Have you downsized your family car?

And if so, would you do it again?

DH and I are a 1-car family. We drive a Toyota Sienna minivan, which fits our 3 kids and all their junk perfectly well. But we also live in a large city, and my inability to park the darn thing (parallel or in a lot) without denting it is seriously cramping my love of the minivan. While my car was in the autobody shop a few weeks ago, I had a sedan rental and while it made me want to shoot myself to jam 3 kids in carseats/boosters across the back every day, I liked driving *a car* again. This conflict lead me to the Mazda 5, which we test drove today. DH is concerned that if we downsize to a smaller car, we'll regret it in a couple of years when our kids are bigger and their legs are longer. With the config of the Mazda 5, we'll pretty much always be using part of the 3rd row. So I'm curious if anyone on the BBB who also has older kids has downsized to a smaller car once your kids were out of the carseats and if you have, whether you'd recommend it or do it again?
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We're going to stick it out with our CRV as long as we can, but size wise, I don't think we have more than 2-3 years before we need to move up. How would you go anywhere as a family with all your stuff if all the seat/leg space is filled with bodies?

We have no reason to downsize because we both drive relatively small, fuel efficient cars. We both commute to work in opposite directions. Dh's car gets 26mpg, mine about 28. We have 2 kids and frequently there is a cello in the trunk and we feel fine about the space we have. We won't upsize until we have another child and only if we can't get 3 across in my car.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

I have two kids and a Corolla. No plans to upgrade unless a 3rd child surprises us somewhere along the line. The gas mileage is awesome and I can park in the teeniest of spaces. The trunk is pretty decent sized. We have a P3 stroller, and a bunch of boogie boards, beach gear and stuff in it. I can even fit DS's bike back there. Our other car is a van (older model, 95) but DH drives that and it has all his work junk in it. I only drive it when I need to haul around my nephew or DS's friends. We also take it camping. I really do love my tiny car and since it is paid off I plan to keep it until it dies. But I do think that only having one car that is small would be difficult. What if you need to go on a road trip or even just getting to the airport? Where would your suitcases go? How much trunk space would you have?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We got our minivan because we routinely take long car trips, had a dog and needed space for the crate and didn't know if we would have 2 or 3 kids.

I sometimes crave a smaller vehicle, but yesterday we drove DH's sedan around on errands with the 4 of us and I thought I would go nuts from the lack of space for all the kid crap. But someday, with both kids in boosters or seatbelts and no crap to haul, I dream of a cute sedan.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I just downsized from a 4 door Ford F150 - which was great for the kids, tons of room...but I hated to park it. I bought an Audi A4 and love it. The inside is just big enough for us and all of our stuff and the trunk is huge.

I also really like that I can reach in the back easily while in the drivers seat, pick up pacifiers, distribute crackers, etc. while at stoplights

Erin
    DS 8/05
    DD 1/08
    DS 3/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Not downsizing and my kids aren't older, but we just looked at upsizing and decided against it. I have 3 kids in harnessed seats in a Malibu Maxx. It's a hatchback and holds a fair amount of stuff in the trunk. We did a 1 week vacation in it last year and brought the pack n play, a travel swing and stuff for the 5 of us. We also bought a car top carrier a couple years ago for longer trips that require more stuff.

We will need to replace DH's car soon and we'll get a smallish sedan - maybe a Focus or similar. He only drives to work and back, but it would be nice for him to have something that holds all the kids more easily.
    Kris

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I still have my 2003 GMC Yukon XL and did look into possibly downsizing when gas was approaching $4/gal here - however - considering the hosing I was gonna take on trying to sell or trade it - I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'll probably drive my truck until the wheels fall off at this point.

The wife has her 2008 Toyota Sienna and it's here to stay for a good long while most likely.
    ~Bill

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just one thing to keep in mind - if you're not there already - is the 'carpool' factor. My oldest is 8 and we often have other kids in our minivan these days. It's nice to be able to take his friend home after a soccer game, or take an extra friend along with us when we go to the pool, etc. And, in turn, it's nice to be able to ask someone else to bring him home if I have a schedule conflict. If I couldn't reciprocate, I probably wouldn't ever ask and these things do start to happen more and more as they get older.

Just last weekend, we were at the elementary school carnival on a Saturday afternoon. I had to get my youngest ds home for a nap and my 8yo was dying to stay. I asked his friend's mom if he could stay with them for awhile and she could bring him home later. It's nice to have that give and take once they're old enough to be without you.

Just a thought.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

I'm looking at a Mazda5 now that I don't have to bring strollers anymore and the two oldest are just about out of boosters but not too huge to sit in the back row yet.... with that 4th seat folded down I'm sure there's enough room for groceries and we don't take mega road trips (though we do have a soft rooftop carrier we could use). My van seems a little big considering our small dogs and light packing habits and lack of roadtrips overall, and it would be easier for DH to drive (he can't see the front corner of my van, has even blown a tire hitting a curb he couldn't see, so I understand it's easier to drive a smaller car!).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast