10 52.63%
  • OXO 3 panels 3.33 ft wide

6 31.58%
  • Special Order 2 5ft panels

0 0%
  • I have an idea for you...

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default French Door Option

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I just don't like the look. I MUCH prefer French doors. I can't seen how they would be bad with children.

Maybe its b/c I"ve walked into sliding doors and also walked through sliding screen doors FAR too many times. Plus, our dog would definitely walk into/through them.

Yup, absolutely prefer French doors.
    Well, If I was going to do french doors, I would do it like this, with one door: http://www.jzconstruction.com/photos...fter%20(1).jpg

with one 3 .33 ft french door in between 2 fixed panes. I do not really like the look of four equal panels, and it does not seem practical to have friench doors where each door is 5 feet wide. It would be way too heavy to be supported by the hinges. I supposed you could do something smaller on the sides and have each door the standard 36 inches. What do you guys think?

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    I supposed you could do something smaller on the sides and have each door the standard 36 inches. What do you guys think?
    That's what I'd do - smaller fixed side lights and standard doors. Or if that was much more $$$, then I'd do the OXXO configuration.

Congratulations on finding a house! I love 50's style homes.
    mommy to DD 1/07

I didn't vote but I would go for the less expensive option between 1 & 2. To the pp about the benefits of slider to french door you changed my mind about french doors. I have sliders in my dining room and have been wanting to change them to french doors but your right, it would take floor space we need plus I leave them open with the screen all sumer, I would miss that. Thanks for your experience it was really helpful.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You can definitely get screens for French doors. Our neighbors have them.

I can see if the room they are in is small, they would not work well, costing floor space.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kristac View Post
    I think french doors are concidered more modern and therefore better resale value. They do have a larger footprint though- either inside or outside the house. No chance of a french door going off track like a slider. The cons would be lack of screens. Of the slider options I would go with the 4 panel.
    Our French door is one fixed and one swinging and we have a sliding screen door. We are going to take that sliding screen off and put on a storm door with screen.
    Kris

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We have French doors and want to change them to sliders. Here's why:

-It's hard to have it opened just a little - it's all or nothing pretty much.

-It makes it hard to put our kitchen table in a good spot, as we need clearance for the swing of the door.

I do prefer the look to French doors, but I just don't find them practical enough, at least for where ours is located.
    Some friends of mine replaced their french doors for these very reasons.

I think the 4 panel OXXO is a nice look. Having them slide open from the middle would also make it easier to use curtains on them (if you're so inclined).
    Jen

Another vote for french doors. You can do a more modern (appropriate for 50's style house) french door approach. Our house has french doors onto the back yard, we usually have one closed and the other open. We have screens doors for them and have no problem with them taking up more space. In our area at least, they would more than pay for themselves at resale time, if you are not going to be in the house forever.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like #2. It has more of the look of french doors, which I like. I don't really have a preference of slider over french, more the look of the door. We have anderson sliders, but they are the french door series. But I think you have more options on window treatments with french doors. I wish I could put honeycomb shades on my sliders.....
    Last edited by bnme; 03-29-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typos
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I prefer the look of French doors, but I understand the floor space issue since I have the same concern in my house. We have a mid-1970s slider in our dining room that is not working well and we want to replace it. Because a French door would be a hassle with the placement of the dining room table, we will probably go with a slider that has panes for a more French door look. I voted for your OXXO option because I think it can be handy to have a wider opening somewhere in your home. Makes it easier for movers to bring in large items, at least in my house where they have to deal with a stairway as soon as they come in the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Definitely french doors. I loathe sliding glass doors.

GL!

i feel exactly the opposite. french doors are very popular, my dh tried to talk me into them. i can't stand them.
    neeley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast