10 52.63%
  • OXO 3 panels 3.33 ft wide

6 31.58%
  • Special Order 2 5ft panels

0 0%
  • I have an idea for you...

3 15.79%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't get a chance to click on the links last night, but I would definitely do Option 1. I agree it is very nice to have a wide opening for movers, etc. We actually have "faux" French doors in our current house, in that only one side opens. (Which we did not realize when we bought the house, doh!!) It was a huge PITA when moving in.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a french door and a fixed door in our family room. I think I still like having siding doors. We had that in our last house. I liked leaving our door open during the summer. We do have a sliding screen door but I like how simple a sliding door is.

I like French doors - they look better imho, and have other advantages (easy operation, better weatherseal, wider opening, etc.) You can also have screens on them - we do - that either are extra doors that attach to the glass doors, or replace one of the glass panes in the french door itself.

That said, if you really need to go with a slider, I'd pick sliding doors that give you the widest opening possible.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One thing to consider is what your area and furniture placement inside the room is like. What will your traffic pattern out the door be? Our room with a sliding patio door is small to begin with, and we don't have a lot of options. If you go with french doors, do you have the room for them to swing in? You can get swing out too, although I've read they can have problems. I voted for the 3 panel sliding door, which will give you larger viewing glass and also minimum disruption area for your inside furniture placement.

But you know the house and should think through what you like!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyNicksChunkyMom View Post
    We have French doors across the back of our house and use them multiple times a day as our main access to backyard. I would think they would be easier for a child to open than a slider.l
    FTR, our kids have no troubles opening our slider -- it's almost too easy! Thank goodness for the lock!

I would also mention that we have only had one item come in through the sliding door, and that was a very large side by side refrigerator. Everything else has made it through other entry doors.

I think a 3 is more visually appealing than a 4, just because of the odd number it's more centered-looking. Whether you go with the grids or not is up to your preference.

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I voted 3 panel-slider - that's what we have & I love it. Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the look of French doors, but as others have said, it won't work in all rooms dur to furniture placement or traffic pattern.

I would go with the 3-panel vs. 4 because I think the 4 panel would be more difficult to open, wouldn't it? I've not seen this in real life, but I'm imagining it being a 2-handed open instead of a 1-handed.

The boys open our slider really easily. It isn't a problem at all.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KBecks View Post
    FTR, our kids have no troubles opening our slider -- it's almost too easy! Thank goodness for the lock!
    Same here, except my 6 year old has no problems with the lock aspect eithre. Although I should say that while my DDs can easily open/close the glass door, the screen slider gives them some problems because of the way the handle (or lack there of) is and they have nothing to grab hold of.
    Jen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3