Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Where to do beach vacation in Michigan?

I am a New Englander now living in the Midwest. For the first summer ever I don't think I'll make it home to the beach this summer. I would like to plan a week at the beach along Lake Michigan. I've heard there are beautiful spots but I don't know where to begin?! Southwestern Michigan would be closest to us. We love to be near or on nice family friendly beaches but also close to a small downtown with dining and shopping.

TIA!

tmarie

dd#1 5/05
    dd#2 6/08

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

South Haven, MI. We camped there 2 years ago (stayed in Covert) and the beach was great. They have a nice downtown with tons of shops (very touristy), a boardwalk and light house. We really enjoyed ourselves. When we went I was pg with DD2 and DD1 was almost 4.

We like Union Pier - but that's because it's an easy drive for us. The beach is nice, cute downtown area. I think most of the beach towns in that area are pretty nice. I haven't really thought to assess them from the perspective of brinigng a kid - I used to go before kids for cute B&B's. Since the kids we've stayed in a Union Pier house rental with access to a pool and a short drive to the beach and mainly grilled out for the ease of it with the kids.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

cpapay is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We vacationed in South Haven the last 2 summers and had a good time. The beaches are very nice----parking is limited at some beaches, but depending on where you stay you may be within walking distance to the beach. Phoenix Street Cafe' rocks for breakfast and we were regulars at Cafe' Julia for coffee. =)

We have also vacationed in Grand Haven and would go back in a heartbeat!

HTH

Carrie

Not along Lake Michigan, rather in Lake Huron but Mackinac Island is amazing!
    http://www.mackinac.com/
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Traverse City area is a wonderful vacation spot with beautiful beaches and tons to do. It's one of our favorite places. It's in the northern part of the lower penninsula, but well worth the drive.

http://www.visittraversecity.com/
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thank you!!! i am going to look in those areas....south haven and union pier look like they would be the most convenient for us.

Another vote for Traverse City - and the Sleeping Bear Dunes, about 25 miles from Traverse City is a must see/ do for kids

http://www.sleepingbeardunes.com/index.php

Erin
    DS 8/05
    DD 1/08
    DS 3/11

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Grand Haven and Holland.

Further south you have Benton Harbor/St Joe. My inlaws live there and it is beautiful.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

sail731 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Being a Michigan native, I would choose either South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, or Grand Haven. It depends on the activities you want. I would probably spend a week in a rented house somewhere in the middle (holland/Saugatuck) and make day trips out of visiting some of the other coastal towns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast