Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default All mentioned sound great to me!

We have been to all of them b/c we did the Lake Michigan Circle Tour pre kids. Traverse City and South Haven would be the ones I would try with our family first, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ideas given.

tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Can someone tell me more about traverse city? I was looking for places to stay and they seemed more woodsy/downtownish. Are any of them on or a short distance from a nice beach?

I love Holland! As soon as you described "small downtown" I thought of it. They've got lots of privately owned shops as well as a microbrewery if you or your dh like that. It's on the west side of the state but I highly recommend it. Also it's just about an hour from Grand Rapids and you could go to the Meijer gardens which are lovely. We went with friends and their 3 year old loved it!
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would recommend Traverse City too. It is a cute little city. There is lots to do, like boat rides, miniature golf (we love the pirate themed one), a nice downtown area... We stay with dh's grandparents when we go so I have no hotel recommendations. If you have a choice, I would pick one right along the water vs across the busy divided highway.

There are a lot of things within a less than 2 hour drive (Sleeping Bear Dunes, Glen Arbor with the Cherry Republic store).

Beth

You've gotten some great suggestions, but you might want to take this into consideration when planning your trip.

From South Haven north to Grand Haven are all very busy, and rentals are more expensive than slightly further north. Grand Haven, in fact, is lots of cottages on top of other cottages, loud, and full of HS students partying (I know, I was one )However, there is lots to do in town, and some fairly nice restaurants, there's the Coast Guard festival and the Musical Fountain, and you're w/in driving distance of the "big" city of GR, ha ha, if it's a rainy day. Holland is somewhat less busy, but the whole lakeshore area of SW MI is fairly traffic-laden because it's a direct drive W. from K-zoo or GR. I am not sure if St. Joe is less busy, and Warren Dunes is there which is nice. It's south of South Haven...and closer to the outlet stores in Mi. City (where there's a HA!).

I don't know which city you're visiting family in but Holland is a 30 min. drive from GR, Grand Haven is 45 min. South Haven is about 30 min. from K-zoo. Muskegon is pushing an hour from GR, TJ Hoffmaster State Park is amazing. Pentwater/Ludington can be around 1.30 to 2 hrs from GR depending on the winding route you need to take to get to your cottage, and Manistee is about 2 hrs. Traverse is longer because you generally go inland rather than follow 31.

Traverse is a nightmare for traffic. A complete nightmare. We have to go there to visit with my dad's side of the family this year (he's from there) and I'm dreading it. I would be wary of Muskegon as the paper mill makes the north part stinky, though you get use to it...further south is better but Muskegon has a rep for being a tough town - I don't know what the rentals are like there. If you want to be *near* Traverse you might try Charlevoix or that area which is less popular. The other direction, Suttons Bay is even worse though, and quite expensive. And you'd want to avoid the whole area during Cherry Festival.

Some less busy places just a bit further north of Grand Haven are Pentwater, Ludington, and Manistee. My dad swears he can do Manistee to GR in two hours, but I think that's a little optimistic. Also look further north into Arcadia, and Benzie county, and nearer to Traverse. Stony Lake (just south of Pentwater) is nice and quiet too, but AVOID Silver Lake - unless you're into dunebuggies.

We spent a wonderful vacation pre-DS on the UP side of Lake Michigan and it was great (but bring your groceries up from the LP!!!) and also in the Paradise area of Lake Superior. We checked out the Lake Huron side but couldn't find anything - but the pics online look great. Mackinac (Island) is amazing, but super expensive. We have stayed in Mackinaw City (on the LP side) and then taken the ferry over - yes, fudgies, I know. But it can be $500 a night on the island - I've done that as well, but not for the entire trip, too $$. Or you can stay on the St. Ignace side too which is fairly cheap and also has ferry service. Drummond Island (off the eastern tip of the UP) is also very unique, but the rock makes the beaches a bit funny...especially if you're used to Lake Michigan's sandy beaches...Lake Huron is very different.

I am from MI as well and have spent most of each summer on the Big Lake - I can't tell you how much I miss it. Let me know if you need some info on rental agencies or specific areas. I have family and friends all over the area.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 03-31-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: driving times
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We always go to Bridgeman, but that's because it's where a house we can borrow is located. Bridgeman itself is tiny, but it's a short drive to Michigan City, IN and New Buffalo and St. Joseph, MI. A bunch of my neighbors have places in Union Pier, and South Haven and Grand Haven are supposed to be beautiful. I spent time in Traverse City when I was in high school and it is beautiful.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We spent a week in Grand Haven last year. The downtown was small but cute and fun. The beach really was fabulous though, I kept forgetting we were on Lake Michigan :-) Nice sand, nice waves, really hot in August!

We spent a day in Holland, and I'd love to go back there too. There were enough things to do and see to fill a full day and then some.

My husband is from Michigan and has been talking up Traverse City and 'up north', but I haven't made it up there yet. After reading these recs I'm looking forward to going!

Hope you find a great vacation spot!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by sail731 View Post
    Being a Michigan native, I would choose either South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, or Grand Haven. It depends on the activities you want. I would probably spend a week in a rented house somewhere in the middle (holland/Saugatuck) and make day trips out of visiting some of the other coastal towns.

Ohh, yeah, I forgot about Saugatuck. We went there when DS1 was 5 months old and really liked it too.

I called my friend who did the last rental for us - we were technically in New Buffalo.

Obvioulsy, you got some great suggestions and I plan on coming back to this thread this summer if we decide to do a rental again.
    Last edited by alexsmommy; 04-01-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks again for all the input! Now I need to decide on a rental company........there are so many random websites. If anyone has any strong recommendations, let me know. I think we'll try Saugatuck, South Haven, or Holland this year. And keep Traverse City and the other areas in mind for the future!

tmarie

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I live about 45 min. from Saugatuck and grew up going there all the time. The Oval Beach is a nice, not-too-crowded beach...a lot of families rather than teenie boppers. Holland also is a nice beach that is more of a family beach. I've only been to South Haven twice, but I think it's about as busy as Holland.

The downtown of SH is within walking distance of the beach whereas you would have to drive to downtown from Holland of Saugatuck. I do think that Saugatuck has the most and best options for dining and shopping.

I am biased, but I love Saugatuck. There are so many B&B nearby and many on the lakeshore. I believe South Haven is similar as far as rental options. You'd probably have to rent a cottage or stay further away if you visited Holland.

As far as downtowns go, I think Saugatuck has the most unique atmosphere of the three. Holland does have more entertainment options as far as non-beach activities go. I think it totally depends on what type of vacation you're looking for...but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

HTH!
    Last edited by boltfam; 04-03-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2