Default Whole eggs in baked things (8 month old)?

DD2 has been eating table food for almost two months now, and we've gone through a decent variety of single-ingredient foods with her with no problems. But now she's really starting to beg for the foods we're eating - she's got her own little made-up sign for "give!" It's especially true for whatever her sister is eating: pancakes (my Thursday morning tradition with DD1), muffins, peanut butter sandwiches (obviously that's a no-no), etc.

But most of the foods in question would be OK if she could eat eggs. (Clearly not the PB&J!) I've read conflicting things about eggs in baked goods being OK to intro around 8-10 months, and was wondering what the general consensus is here. We didn't run into this problem with DD1 because by the time she'd been eating table foods for two months she was a year old!

DH has an egg white allergy, so I had planned to be conservative and wait until 12 months like we did with DD1, but I've also read various things that indicate that while a parent with a food allergy makes it more likely for the child to have a food allergy, it may not be to the same food. As far as we know DD1 has no food allergies at all, although she sometimes gets a rash on her face after eating...garlic? Or onions? Hard to say as when we use one we almost always use the other! But it's only happened a few times overall, despite those being common ingredients in our meals. And DD2 hasn't reacted to anything we've given her - except the one time DH didn't realize I'd already fed her some black beans at lunch and gave her more at dinner while I was working. Poor gassy baby!

Argh. This is too complicated. Some part of me actually wishes DD2 would eat pureed foods like a normal 8 month old baby... Though I have to admit it's a whole lot less messy and time consuming this way.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I"d try something with hidden egg in a small amount (so, not like a merange or angel food cake with a lot of eggs in it) and watch her closely for a reaction.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

we just saw our doctor today and we asked her the same question about the eggs. Her response was to ask us if we had any food allergies ourselves (we don't). She said that had we could go ahead and give him stuff with egg since we weren't allergic. I suppose she would have advised we wait if we had been allergic.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I"d try something with hidden egg in a small amount (so, not like a merange or angel food cake with a lot of eggs in it) and watch her closely for a reaction.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. Our big batch of pancakes that DH sometimes makes on the weekend only has one egg in it, so there would be a rather minuscule amount in each pancake. Since we just tried chicken with her tonight maybe I'll put off any other new foods until then and try a small amount of pancake with her. I think that might appease the little stinker.

I swear sometimes she's worse than the dogs. I can't even believe I'm admitting this, but while DD1 was at her swimming lesson the other day I was *starving*, so I got a Pop Tart package out of the vending machine (me, the total no-HFCS freak of the house!) and was eating it while sitting next to the stroller in the observation area. Well, DD2 turned those big blue-green eyes on me and flashed her dimpliest smile and made that little "give!" sign. And looked longingly at the Pop Tart, then at me, then back at the Pop Tart... If it had been the dogs, I would have been able to resist. But after a quick check of the ingredients (no eggs)...

I gave my baby a bite of Pop Tart.

I. am. such. a. bad. mom. (I still harbor resentment at my mother for making me eat plain Cheerios and soggy Raisin Bran when by the time my younger brothers came along they got cereals like marshmallow Alpha Bits and Lucky Charms, and here I am doing the same thing to my girls...)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    we just saw our doctor today and we asked her the same question about the eggs. Her response was to ask us if we had any food allergies ourselves (we don't). She said that had we could go ahead and give him stuff with egg since we weren't allergic. I suppose she would have advised we wait if we had been allergic.
    That's true, I suppose I could actually call the pediatrician. I feel a little silly, but her next appointment isn't for a month and I don't think I can hold out that long, with her trying so desperately to get her hands on whatever food we're eating. (It's also a problem with the pasta and mini ravioli we regularly make - I had to go label hunting to find an egg-free pasta and she's been begging for those mini ravioli!)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

In pancakes, you can easily go "egg-free" by substituting for EACH egg:

1.5 tablespoon oil (I use canola)
    1.5 tablespoons water
    1 tsp baking powder
    mix all together and add when the recipe calls for the egg(s) to be added

I have other substitutes, but that one works VERY well in baking and specifically in pancakes. I use a regular pancake recipe and just substitute that in.

This is the pancake recipe I use. http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/V...cream_pancakes

It calls for 2 eggs, so I just double the amount of the egg substitute. No one can tell the difference!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Thanks, Melissa!

I tried making pancakes with that egg substitute this morning, and they were a *huge* hit! DD2 ate almost an entire (small - maybe 2.5") pancake and would gladly have eaten more I think.

I'll probably give her hidden egg at some point in the near future but for now we'll just use this substitute.

Thanks again!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A month ago, I was eating a ham and cheese sandwich that my ds wouldn't eat, and dd was in my lap, she reached up and grabbed a part of the sandwich and stuck it in her mouth, and she ate it with no problem, she was born 6/08, she definitely wants to eat everything, esp, paper, LOL

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    In pancakes, you can easily go "egg-free" by substituting for EACH egg:

1.5 tablespoon oil (I use canola)
    1.5 tablespoons water
    1 tsp baking powder
    mix all together and add when the recipe calls for the egg(s) to be added

I have other substitutes, but that one works VERY well in baking and specifically in pancakes. I use a regular pancake recipe and just substitute that in.

This is the pancake recipe I use. http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/V...cream_pancakes

It calls for 2 eggs, so I just double the amount of the egg substitute. No one can tell the difference!
    Melissa, I just wanted to say thank you for the substitute recipe, I used it for pancakes and it worked great.

How is it for say a cake or cookies? DD can actually eat baked egg, but at times I wonder if it is better to avoid them.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I looked up the receipe Melissa. Do you find the sour cream makes the light/fluffy. I ask b/c I don't normally buy sour cream so it would be a special purchase just to make pancakes. But I would love to make some for DS as he's never had any.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard