AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Question Does your Graco Snugride 22 (spec. 2005/2006 models) have an expiration date printed?

Last week I was going through my baby stuff and I noticed that our Graco SnugRide 22 (man. Feb. 2006) doesn't have a date on the actual sticker of when it expires. It's a $80 safari print model from Target (co workers bought it for me and I didn't have the heart to return it) and I initially thought that it said it expired in 5 or 6 years, but now it kind of bothers me that it doesn't actually say when it expires. I don't think I really should be worried as the seat functioned very well 3 yrs. ago.

Has anyone noticed this with their 05 or 06 seats? And should I be concerned?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

All the expiration dates I've seen on Graco products have been molded into the plastic of the shell on the back or bottom, not on the DOM sticker. Have you looked on your seat? It will say "Do not use after December 20**".

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No I'll look there later, thanks for the tip.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

With my SS1 it was under the foot end, partially under the cover. Very easy to miss.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a SnugRide with a DOM of 10/05. The expiration is like PP said: stamped into the plastic on the bottom side, under the bottom/foot. Easier way to explain: sit on the floor with the seat facing you. Tip the seat backwards (away from you). Look next to the lip, where the cover folds over.

With mine, it expires December of 2011.
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

Default Baby seat expiration date

I have a hand-me-down Graco SnugRide from my older sister and the expiration date is December 2009. Am I really not supposed to use it after that date, or do I just need to get it rechecked at that date or something? Our baby is due in June, so I imagine that he might be moved up to a Britax by December anyway, but do you think I'll need to buy a new SnugRide if we end up expecting a second child somewhere down the line? My mom thought that maybe the expiration date was just the date after which the company will no longer notify you of product recalls for that model. Does anyone know if that's true?
    DS 7/09
    DD 1/11
    DS 12/12
    DS 11/14

The expiration date is the date you need to stop using the seat. It's not when the company stops sending recalls; it's the date after which the company states, "Wecan't guarantee this restraint will function properly in a crash. We don't want you using it anymore." If you want to use an infant seat after December 2009, you'll need to buy a new one.

http://blog.safetysquad.com/safety_s...-car-seat.html

http://blog.safetysquad.com/safety_s...at-expira.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0

Thank you for those links and the information!
    DS 7/09
    DD 1/11
    DS 12/12
    DS 11/14

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug47 View Post
    I have a hand-me-down Graco SnugRide from my older sister and the expiration date is December 2009. Am I really not supposed to use it after that date, or do I just need to get it rechecked at that date or something? Our baby is due in June, so I imagine that he might be moved up to a Britax by December anyway, but do you think I'll need to buy a new SnugRide if we end up expecting a second child somewhere down the line? My mom thought that maybe the expiration date was just the date after which the company will no longer notify you of product recalls for that model. Does anyone know if that's true?
    A six year old SnugRide likely has a 20 lb and 26 inch limit (rather than the newer 22 pounds and 29 inches). I think the bigger ones came out in 2004? That small of a seat does not tend to last more than 6 or so months for a lot of kids. You definitely would need a new seat for any future children, but if baby is coming in June, you could easily use it till December (or until baby outgrows it) and then move baby to a convertible. My son was born in June 2003 and outgrew his SnugRide seat by October 2003. One thing to consider too is to make sure your sister has all the parts and everything works well. You will need a locking clip with that seat to install it with a retracting lap/shoulder belt or it tips sideways. And make sure it is one with a 5 point harness with a front adjuster. 3 point harnesses, as well as 5 point harnesses without front adjusters were much more common back when that seat was new. Ours did not have a front adjuster, I really wish it had but by the time we realized our mistake he was rapidly outgrowing the darn thing, LOL. If it lacks a front adjuster, I would spring for a new seat in your shoes.
    Last edited by kijip; 04-06-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Default Seat check

Good to know! I think my sister's kids will outgrow their convertible just in time to hand that right down to us by the end of the year, too. My plan is to take the SnugRide seat and all its parts to a seat-check facility and have them make sure we install it correctly and have all the parts we need for it to function the way it's supposed to. If anything's missing or they see any problems with it, then we'll look into purchasing a new one right away if we need to. I hope this one will work, though -- I'd like to be able to get good use out of it for a few months at least.
    DS 7/09
    DD 1/11
    DS 12/12
    DS 11/14