barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Question I'm clueless about cribs....

but I love to sew and want to make the bedding/curtains for the nursery instead of purchase. But, here's the problem: I need to figure out how much fabric to buy, but don't have a crib yet!! So, how do I know what the drop is between the mattress and the floor? Is it standard at first? Also, what do you do as you move the mattress down as the baby gets older? Just fluff the skirt out?

This is my first baby, so I don't even know the last time I laid eyes on a crib , much less inspected it to see how this mattress thing really works! HELP!!

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are patterns for making crib skirts, bumpers etc fromthe major pattern makers. You can go to their sites and see how much fabric their patterns require and use that as a guide.
    http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4...ating&page=all

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My friend made my crib skirt- she followed a pattern also- and when the mattress was on the highest setting- it didn't poke out of the bottom- now that it is lower, it hangs below the rail....

You might see what crib you want- and then do the measurements for the skirt- that way you know what you are working with- you could measure the mattress positioned at the highest and lowest positions.... and use that to figure out how much fabric to get!