Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Questions about getting into K

As some of you already know I am gearing for the move back to the States. I have given notice at work yesterday so now we have to go , I am scared (of not being able to get a job) and excited at the same time.

Anyway, I am trying to plan the timeline for this summer so that I could book airplane tickets etc. and I realized I have no idea whether I would need DS with me for the trip where I am going to get the lease signed and submit documents to school. Would they need to interview him or anything like that? MIL has offered to have him stay with her and go to a preschool while we are looking for a place to live, get our furniture out of storage and otherwise settle down.

I am going to be at my current job through the first week of July. We are thinking of flying into the States in the middle of July to get a lease and to enroll DS into school (I know we will be waaaay late but I don't see an alternative). We'll move in mid-August or at the latest possible for DS to start school on September 1st. Does this sound about right?
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, I am not sure how other schools work, but here is how it works in our district. The school has K registration. That is when parents (kids don't need to be there) turn in documents:

Birth cert
    Vax record
    Utility bill to verify your residency in that district
    Social security #
    Proof of parental guardianship (if you and your DH are divorced)

My DH went there with all the documents, had to fill out some more paperwork, including who to call for emergencies, doctor and dentist #'s. Then they also scheduled his K eval, which is in August. Gave us info on registering for safety town, and then there is some sort of, "what to expect in K" mtg for parents in May. Then I think there is some sort of open house a few days before the school yr starts. I would call whatever school district you think you will end up at, and ask them what you need to do/have with you when it is time to register. They will also let you know fees. We are doing 1/2 day so it's free. However, for those who want to enter the lottery for full day K, tuition is stated as X per month and there is also a material fee for 1/2 day and full day K are different, but they tell you when it's due.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For public schools here (no idea about where you are), there is no interview or anything. You show up, fill out forms and they are in. If it is before school starts, then they just start like normal. During the school year they can typically start as soon as you have all the forms in. We needed proof of residency(deed or lease/utility bill), birth certificate and vaccine record/exemption.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You will need to look at the specific school website or better yet call a school secretary and have them explain exactly what you need to do.

At our school before K entry (or any school entry if you are coming from elsewhere) they do a reading assessment, preferably before school starts. But your child does not need to be present when you do the actual enrollment.

It is also common for many schools to have a K orientation (our is the spring before K, they are going on now in my district) and a school open house in the fall right before school starts. At our school, the open house is when they actually get to meet their teachers and see their classroom.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thank you for your help, ladies. I now know what to do next . It sounds that chances are DS won't need to be present when I enroll him.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is the school year round?? Registration is most likely taking place now or very soon for traditional schools and year round but year round he might not start right away or he could start as early as July.

I'd think it would be helpful to DS if you could bring him to the school so he has a picture in his mind. Our school and one's I've worked in all do a spring (mid May) K orientation where the parents attend a meeting and the kids go to the classrooms with all the K teachers. Obviously he won't get to attend that but it's very helpful to kids to have an idea where/what they're going so it's less of a mystery/scary/etc.

We moved back from Maui to Lake Tahoe last summer. We moved back in August.
    I did call to find out what I needed to do and it seemed like no big deal. She would
    go to the school that was right across from our house, regardless of whether there
    was room or not. It was our school for the home we own.

We came back in August and did not like that there were 32 kids in the Kindy class,
    with one teacher and only went from 9-11:30 am. So we found a private school
    and enrolled her that week. Three weeks before she started school. We are so
    happy with our choice. Her Kindy class is 15 kids with a teacher and an aide 4 days
    a week AND it's from 8:15-3:15.

I think you could make a couple of phone calls and get some answers.
    Good luck!

It's nice to hear that others have moved and enrolled their kids into school with no problems.

Obviously, it would have been better if DS could visit the school that he'd be attending in fall. Unfortunately, that also would be much more inconvenient and potentially costly. It's not easy to deal with a child recovering from 10 hours jet leg let alone run around trying to get the lease going, organize school, meet with headhunters. Plus DS would have a great time with grandma, he looks forward to visiting her this summer.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think you will be fine. You won't be able to enroll at all until you have a lease and while they have enrollment days now, you can enroll any time. We enrolled in March, but we are here already. I know someone that moved in last summer and enrolled a few weeks before school started, without the kids there and was still able to have them tested and qualifed for the gifted program (older grades, so not a concern for you most likely). Ours does orientation and open house stuff in the week before school starts so that it is fresh in their minds. If you are pretty sure you are using public school, then there really isn't much else to do right now.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Call ahead about documentation

I see that the registration process varies quite a bit. DS is starting public KG this fall, and registration was last month. I followed the instructions on their website and downloaded forms from the website (how convenient) but found when I got to registration that the instructions were incomplete and in some cases incorrect (ie outdated). I was very surprised to get to registration and find that I had more forms to complete, needed more paperwork (water bill is not a utility bill according to the school, it must be gas or electric, etc), which was annoying bc I had to take care of DS2 while I tried to fill out forms. DS was not required to be there. There is KG testing in May. And a deposit to pay (not sure if the deposit is for fullday or for everyone). So I would suggest that before you go in to register call ahead or email ahead if you don't want to make 2 trips.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast