Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would you ask a neighbor to clean up the dog poop in their yard?

Our next-door neighbors (who we're friendly with) have two dogs. Their backyard is COVERED with dog poop, so it's hard for me to even stand outside in our yard because it stinks so badly. Our yards are open to each other (with just short fences) so there's no barrier from their stench.

This has been an ongoing problem but I've never said anything about it before. But it's gotten worse and now it's nice enough to want to be out with the boys in our yard but it smells like I'm on a farm if I do so.

What would you do if you were in my situation? This neighbor is nice and shoveled snow many times for us when we were in the hospital with DS, so I hate to offend them. Any ideas besides a nose plug for us?

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Good question. We were walking in the neighborhood and someone's front yard was COVERED in dog poo, like at least 25 pieces. It was such an eyesore. We live in a pretty upscale neighborhood too...

Not as bad as having it next door. I don't know, I think I'd be too chicken. The next-door neighbors aren't bad, but theyr'e not great at cleaning up. We don't have a fence and sometimes DS ends up stepping in a piece.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We were told that the previous owners of our home did not clean up the dog feces in the yard. The neighbor called the health department on them. Not sure if they did that anonymously or not, but the health department came out to warn them.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think I would, although it is so gross.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would find that unacceptable. In my city, that is against ordinances so I would either ask the neighbors to do it, or if I were uncomfortable with that, I would call the city and report it.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KBecks View Post
    I don't think I would, although it is so gross.

I'm sure they're nice people but it really is a health concern at the point you're describing. If you don't want to upset anyone by bringing it up yourself then just call the health department.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

Default What is the health concern?

I know this question's going to sound really dumb, but can someone tell me what exactly the health concern is to us if we're not stepping in it or touching it? That is, just having it in the air could create what type of health problem for us?

I'm asking because I think that might be one way to approach it with them. Considering my son has cancer and is immune compromised, I think it'd make it sound more reasonable if I expressed that I'm concerned that he is more susceptible to getting x if the poo continues to remain in their yard.

I hate to call any officials on them because they'd know that it's us calling, considering that we're the only neighbors who go out in our backyard to see/smell it. It seems like that would strain our relationship if I did that.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
    I know this question's going to sound really dumb, but can someone tell me what exactly the health concern is to us if we're not stepping in it or touching it? That is, just having it in the air could create what type of health problem for us?

I'm curious about this too. I didn't know it was a health concern.
    DD
    DS

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would totally do it. Yuck, the stink! We share a yard with neighbors, and their dog was pooping all over the place and no one picked it up. I wouldn't let DD even near the yard, which impaired our quality of life. It took me forever to muster up the courage, but when I did, they acted instantly. (They first denied it was their dog - they said our other neighbors' boyfriend brings his dog over - a dog we have never seen!) The next day the yard was cleaned up though. It is impairing your quality of life, and I think you should politely request it. It's *much* better than stirring up a battle by calling the city, or just accepting it and hating it so much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast