Default Just got an Ipod-need good music recommendations

Just got my Ipod and need to put some music on is. Most of my CD library is 80's and 90's. I'm a huge 80 techno fan (Depeche Mode, The Cure, Erasure, etc.). I've got all of Stings music and the Police. Just put Earth, Wind, and Fire's greatest hits on the IPod. Love Madonna, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

My first download tonight was Lily Allen and so far I am loving it! I'm completely out of touch with current music though, so is there a way to listen to the music before I download it from I-Tunes? Looking for some good music to listen to on some reallllly long plane rides. : )

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our favorite CD these days is the latest by Kings of Leon. Check it out. You can listen for 30 seconds or so for free before you have to pay to download.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Our favorite CD these days is the latest by Kings of Leon. Check it out. You can listen for 30 seconds or so for free before you have to pay to download.
    At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I listen to a preview? I tried but heard nothing so evidently I didn't do it right.

When I first got my first iPod I loaded it with all my music (same as yours, rofl)... then I realized I'm sort of a podcast junkie and just download tons of those, all free
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you like pop music, try lala.com. It lets you listen to the WHOLE song, not just a snippet like iTunes, and it's prices are more reasonable.

If you are a bit more adventurous, go with eMusic.com. It's a great way to build up a library. My plan was 90 songs per month for $17. They don't have current radio hits or much hip-hop, but they have tons and tons of college radio artists.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Don't forget that you can move your cd collection onto the computer and onto your ipod.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm pretty eclectic. I love Iz (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole). He does that Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. His stuff is brilliant.

Sia ("Breath Me" of Six Feet Under's finale episode fame) has some great mellow stuff. As does Aimee Mann, I mean how do you not love her?

Adam Lambert from American Idol's studio tracks are fabulous. If you liked Mad World live, you must download the studio track; weep-worthy.

Feist.

Weir Al Yankovic. No, I mean it. His newer stuff is so good, you will become addicted.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

I just discovered www.pandora.com. Enter any song or artist and it comes up with more music just like it. Listen to the whole song for free and then click over to itunes or amazon to buy it.

ETA: my new favorites are Greg Laswell, Steve Reynolds, and Stephen Speaks. I heart acoustic guitar! I'm learning how to play.
    Last edited by frgsnlzrds; 04-27-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Tina, mommy to:
    DS1 "D" 12-98
    DS2 "E" 12-05
    DD "G" 6-07

My ipod must have some girly pop on it, particularly old-school stuff, and I like some angry chick rock too:

Total Eclipse of the Heart- Bonnie Tyler
    You're So Vain- Carly Simon
    Eternal Flame- The Bangles
    Son of a Preacher Man- Dusty Springfield
    Like a Prayer- Madonna
    Heart of Glass- Blondie
    Superstar- The Carpenters
    You Oughta Know- Alanis Morissette
    Criminal- Fiona Apple
    Doo Wop (That Thing)- Lauren Hill
    Smile; Knock Em Out- Lily Allen
    Extraordinary- Liz Phair
    Becky
    Delighted Mommy to the little Jackpot 7/08, sweet baby K 5/11 and baby 3 due Christmas 2012.