Default Where to stay outside Grand Canyon Park?

We are moving from the Ga to the Wa. We thought that it would be nice to make the Grand Canyon park of the road trip. however we didn't realize it when we were planning, but we would be moving memorial day weekend.

Our plan was to leave Ga Friday. Make it to Oklahoma and stay with relatives Friday and Saturday night. Leave their house Sunday morning and have the Grand canyon be Sunday nights destination. Spend Monday at the park, and then spend Tuesday and Wednesday driving up to Wa.

Being that we are hitting the park on Memorial day all the lodges and camp groups inside the park are booked up. So I'm curious to know if there are any recommendations of places to stay outside the park?

Also any recommendation on what to do? Must see points? places to eat?

DS1 is only 9 months, so no donkey rides. I have a feeling his stroller would not be very particle, would a Bjorn be sufficient or do you think a back carrier would be better?

Williams, AZ is not too far from the Grand Canyon. If places at the Grand Canyon are filled up, Williams would definitely be your second choice.

Sorry that I can't really recommend things to do at the Grand Canyon. We lived up there for a month as part of DH's residency but just ate all our meals in our apt, etc. And then we found certain favorite spots to hike with views without any tourists but there's no way now that I'd be able to explain how to get there.

The Grand Canyon is truly spectacular, one of those places that photos cannot do justice.

We stayed in the park, so I can't recommend a place for you. As for things to do, since you have a little one you probably won't want to hike into the canyon, unless you're REALLY comfortable hiking with a little one. For lack of a better term, it's not Disney-fied, it's very natural, and the hikes down into the canyon are not easy. You're not scaling Everest or anything, but there's loose gravel, shear drops, and it's a steep walk. But just walking around the top of the Canyon is still amazing. I wouldn't take a stroller.

As for restaurants, in the main lodge (which is really gorgeous) there's a fancy restaurant with a great view of the canyon. Other than that all I remember are typical National Park type places to eat within the park.

We did a nature talk that was interesting, we signed up the day of I think, but we were there in early spring so it wasn't too crowded.

Two cautions. One is bring lots, and lots, of water. It will get really hot, and a surprising number of people die of heat stroke there (there are very graphic signs around warning visitors of the signs of heat stroke.) The second isn't so dramatic. Be sure to check out the Grand Canyon National Park webpage http://www.nps.gov/grca/ rather than all of the commercial websites for information re: the park/booking rooms/other info. Grandcanyon.com is NOT an official site, and from what I remember it was a virtual tourist trap.

Oh, and waaay outside the National Park is the newish Skywalk run by the Hualapai Indians. I've never been, and can't make up my mind if I think it's cool or tacky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk

Have fun!!

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We were there last month (just me and DH) and stayed in a lodge in the park on the south rim, so I don't have any recommendations for that.

As far as eating - we enjoyed breakfast at El Tovar Dining Room - it was more upscale than the other places (yet still casual for hiking clothes at breakfast time) and very yummy. We also enjoyed breakfast at Bright Angel Lodge and there were great views right from our booth - it was a low key but plenty yummy. Lots of kids were at both places.

We had a really nice lunch in the Arizona Room at Bright Angel with seats against the window right by the rim.

I'd skip the Canyon Cafe at Yavapai lodge. It was overpriced cafeteria type food with a long line for meals where you could just go to the sit down restaurants with better food and we got right in with no wait.

Some of the places take reservations and if it is Memorial Day weekend, I'd definitely make reservations for the sit down places to eat.

As for things to do, we did a hike to the 3 mile house which I wouldn't do with a baby. however, there is a paved path for miles along the rim that is very stroller friendly in most places but I'd probably use a back pack carrier for a 9 month old so you can go to the little detours, look out points, etc, that wouldn't work with a stroller.

We thought the Yavapai observation station was interesting and had great views.

Enjoy!

I live in Flagstaff on I-40 1.5 hours from the Canyon, send me a PM. I know all about the area. I can give restaurant recs, too.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.