Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Can I fit 3 car seats in the back of a Camry?

My DH drives a Camry and currently we have two carseats in the back seat. We would like to fit 3 car seats if possible. Is there any way to fit 2 Graco Nautilus and a Boulevard between them?

My DDs are big they both weigh about 49 lbs. and are pretty tall (I am embarassed to say that I don't know exactly how tall, but I do know that DD1 is 95th percentile and DD2 is off the charts tall), so I think we are limited in our car seat choice. We already have the Boulevard, so I would like to avoid buying a new car seat to substitute that one. Also, I would like to keep them in a 5 point harness rather than a booster.

TIA
    Last edited by cuca_; 04-27-2009 at 11:55 AM.

You said you had 2 seats, one of which is the BV - what's the other? does it puzzle with the BV in the middle? I'm sorry that I can't be of more help... I'm not sure what the Navigator is... Have you considered a Frontier/Nautilus? - those seem smaller than many convertibles
    ETA - I've seen pics of a Silver Cross Navigator, but never with a harness - is that the one you mean?
    Last edited by GraceH; 04-26-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    DS October 2007
    Busy Budgeted Chicagoland Mommy

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Sunshine Kids Radian is a more narrow seat and may fit 3 across harnessed. Do you have a place you can try them out? BRU and Target carry them You may be able to do the BV in the middle and 2 Radians outboard, if your kids fit in the Radian.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What country are you in? The Silver Cross Navigator would be illegal to use in the US.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If your DDs are super-tall, the Radian won't fit them for long, if at all. My tall DS1 outgrew it probably 2 years ago. It is a little taller than the Marathon (presumably the Boulevard is comparable). But it might work well for the younger one (RF or FF?).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    The Sunshine Kids Radian is a more narrow seat and may fit 3 across harnessed. Do you have a place you can try them out? BRU and Target carry them You may be able to do the BV in the middle and 2 Radians outboard, if your kids fit in the Radian.
    We love our Radian and it is narrower so I've heard 3 can fit across. BUT, we had a really difficult time installing it with the seat belt, so unless you have latch in the places where you would put the radians, you may want to think twice. I'm not sure if the radians would be narrow enough to fit 3 seats across if one seat were a boulevard and the other 2 were radians.

Ok I am officially losing my mind. I don't know what a Navigator is. I meant to say Graco Nautilus. Where I got Navigator from, I do not know.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the girls will outgrow the Radian too quickly. The other seat I have is a Wizard, but it is about to expire and DDs have outgrown it.

Maybe the best option is two boosters, since they hardly ever go in that car. However, I would love to keep them in seats with a 5 point harness as long as I can, so if anyone has any ideas please share.

TIA

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We love our Radian and it is narrower so I've heard 3 can fit across. BUT, we had a really difficult time installing it with the seat belt, so unless you have latch in the places where you would put the radians, you may want to think twice. I'm not sure if the radians would be narrow enough to fit 3 seats across if one seat were a boulevard and the other 2 were radians.
    I rode in my mom's Camry last month (very pg) between our two RF MAs on LATCH, and it felt like it was about the same amount of space when I do the same in our CRV. In our CRV, to fit 3 across, all 3 seats have to go on seatbelts to move the seats closer to the door, which gives space for the Radian in the center. True, it is a bit tricky to get a good seatbelt install on the Radian, but DH and I have both done it successfully several times now.

But...since the OP's DDs are too big for the Radian, I guess it doesn't matter anyway!

Yeah, I don't think the Radians would work for us. But thanks for your reply anyway!

I was able to fit a Boulevard, Nautlilus and Scenera in a Camry a few months ago. This was my sisters car and a new model (07 or 08 I think). The Boulevard was in the center RF. The BLVD and Nautilus actually fit nicely together. It was the Scenera I had trouble with because it is so wide at the arms. I think you will be able to do the Britax and 2 Nautilus but of course try before you buy.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast