Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Can you stand another "which carseat next"?

I'm going to relegate dd2's safeseat to the second car and put her in a convertable. I'm not sure if I should buy her a BLVD or if the best idea would be to move dd1 from her MA into a bigger seat and give the MA to dd2. We have a Chevy Malibu Maxx and if the Frontier fits, that's the seat I would probably buy for dd1. FWIW, DD1 is almost 3, 36lbs and 38" tall and is currently in a 2006 MA.

Another factor is that I currently have DD1's MA in the center latch position. DD2 is outboard in her safeseat. I have a fair bit of unhealthy anxiety about car accidents and I'm irrationally worried about moving the MA outboard - I guess b/c I worry that it's not enough protection. I remember reading here that the safeseat was "safer" outboard. That's why I was considering the BLVD. (I had a crazy thought about buying them both BLVD's but why would I do that when dd1 is big enough for a GN or Frontier?) K, done rambling...thanks so much.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Maybe a Radian XT? Then you could put the RF MA outboard and the Radian in the middle..or on the side. Rearfacing (is so safe that it) removes the need for extra headwingage, so no need for a BV. BUT...the Radian is narrow, should work it out so that you can keep the FFer in the middle, and then when the Marathon expires you can put baby in the RN XT and get something bigger (Frontier or whatever else is out) for the big girl.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Without going out to the garage to double check, I am fairly certain the Maxx has side-curtain airbags. This and a rear-facing seat will be very safe outboard.

Do you have any thoughts of having a third? I'm not sure a Frontier would fit with 3 across. From what I've read, I think it would fit in the middle with a MA outboard passenger. So, if you're thinking of a third child, I'd get another MA or a BV. But, if you're done with kids, give the Frontier a try and move the MA outboard.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Maybe a Radian XT? Then you could put the RF MA outboard and the Radian in the middle..or on the side. Rearfacing (is so safe that it) removes the need for extra headwingage, so no need for a BV. BUT...the Radian is narrow, should work it out so that you can keep the FFer in the middle, and then when the Marathon expires you can put baby in the RN XT and get something bigger (Frontier or whatever else is out) for the big girl.
    I had a FF BV in the middle LATCH and another RF BV outboard passenger LATCH in the Maxx with no problems. It does fit. The center is actually slightly off-center, so there is more room.
    Kris

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think we're done at 2. The Maxx does have side airbag...it was a prereq for buying the car so I'm sure about that.

So it is best to leave my dd1 in the center latch position and the goal is to find a seat that will keep her there? Rather than buying the bigger seat and putting her outboard. Then when it's time to turn around dd2, move dd1 outboard in the Frontier and dd2 center latch in the MA. Sound right?
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    I think we're done at 2. The Maxx does have side airbag...it was a prereq for buying the car so I'm sure about that.

So it is best to leave my dd1 in the center latch position and the goal is to find a seat that will keep her there? Rather than buying the bigger seat and putting her outboard. Then when it's time to turn around dd2, move dd1 outboard in the Frontier and dd2 center latch in the MA. Sound right?
    You could try a Frontier in the middle and the MA outboard now and see if it fits. I've not seen a Frontier in real life, but it might puzzle with a MA well.

Otherwise, yep, I'd keep your DD in the middle for now and when the younger one turns forward, move her to the middle, if you can.

That said, I currently have the baby rear-facing in the middle and my forward-facing kids outboard because they'll fight if they're next to each other . No one bothers the baby, fortunately!
    Kris

I'm glad to know two 'big' Britax convertibles works side by side there, thanks Kris!
    I know a FF one does work next to the FR
    ( http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag...43231899203954 ), but I haven't tried an RF one :/.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    I'm glad to know two 'big' Britax convertibles works side by side there, thanks Kris!
    I know a FF one does work next to the FR
    ( http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag...43231899203954 ), but I haven't tried an RF one :/.
    Sure .

I should qualify my answer though - it only works when the middle seat is installed with LATCH. If installed with the seatbelt, they interfere and you would need a Radian for one of them.
    Kris