jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What booster will fit a 9 year old?

We need a booster with a back for a 9 year old (66 pounds and 52 inches tall). He has some back issues so he needs something with a lot of support fort the back. He is getting too big for his Britax Husky (which I think is now called the Regent). I would love to keep him harnesed longer but can't afford a $900 special needs carseat and husband would not allow me to buy one anyway. Is there anything out there that will give him some back support and not push on his shulders too much? The Britax Husky is starting to push on his shoulders which is why I think he is too big for it. I am thinking a booster with a back might work if we can keep the belt tightened good. The one I am leaning towards is the Recaro Start but I don't know what size kids fit in it and I doubt we can find one to try him out in before buying it. Any thoughts on this one or any others that might work?

Thanks,

Jessica.

What do you mean that the Husky is pushing on his shoulders? Like, the harness slots are below the level of the top of his shoulders? Or like he's so wide (doesn't sound like it..) that he's barely fitting in width-wise? If it's the former, it's time for a new seat, for sure. If it's the latter I'm not sure what will work.

Anywho... best current option is the Sunshine Kids Monterey...it's wide and tall and rated to 120lbs and LATCHes in, if your car has LATCH. Recaro Start is my kids' favorite, but it's hard to adjust and the belt lockoff can be a booger to deal with (it doesn't have to be locked, it just locks itself when you pull the shoulderbelt wrong, and it's pretty bad in some cars). The Britax Frontier is probably not going to fit with the harness, but it is a truly nice booster, even taller than the Monterey, so you do get your money's worth out of it in the long run (I know a 12 year old who fits in it, his car has no headrests so he needs to, it's the only booster he still fits in).

From butt to belt guide (shoulder) is the important measurement on a booster, and the Monterey is about 21 inches, Monarch (very nice, but discontinued, but maybe you can find it cheap?) is about 21.5, Start is about 22ish (it's vertical instead of horizontal, hard to get a firm number, my 58" 11 yo still fits in it, though), and Frontier is 24.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#