Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've never had one, is everyone supposed to get one? I don't even have a dermatologist. It doesn't sound like fun, but if it's something we're supposed to do...
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    I've never had one, is everyone supposed to get one? I don't even have a dermatologist. It doesn't sound like fun, but if it's something we're supposed to do...
    Yes-recommended once per year. It's good for pretty much anyone: if you are in the sun, have had prior sun burns(who hasn't) or melanoma that run's in the family. Your first one, they will document the location and size of any larger moles so they can keep track of them through the years.

I can't say enough about how important I realized they were last year. I grew up in a beach area but had been out of the sun for years (no more beach body) and was shocked that after 6 biopsies that were done on me during several visits, the last one and least suspicious was melanoma. Luckily it was considered "stage 0" , meaning they could tell on the biopsy that they got it all and it was not mastesized. I had surgery to remove the surrounding area to be sure it was gone. My follow up treatment is to get these scans 4 times per year for the next two years and basically biopsy anything that looks strange. I have a lot of sun freckles and moles so I pretty much look like I have scars all over from the biopsies but scars are much better than cancer, in my book!
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, ok, I guess I should find a dermatolotist.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had several mole checks and none have been as thorough as some of you have had. Wow. Maybe it's because my derm is older?
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DH is friends with some "dermies" and rotated through derm during his med training. Let me tell you, checking the anal crease, labia, and between the toes pretty much separates out the dedicated dermies from those who should have found work with the cosmetics industry. If your derm is not checking those places thoroughly I would find a new one. DH did see patients on that rotation where cancerous moles where found in those areas . . .

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    My DH is friends with some "dermies" and rotated through derm during his med training. Let me tell you, checking the anal crease, labia, and between the toes pretty much separates out the dedicated dermies from those who should have found work with the cosmetics industry. If your derm is not checking those places thoroughly I would find a new one. DH did see patients on that rotation where cancerous moles where found in those areas . . .
    I need to do this. I saw a dermatologist for the first time to check a rash. While I was there, he did a quick check of back, chest,arms. I'll see if he does a FULL exam, if not I'll go somewhere else.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A big WOW here too. I think I'll be finding myself a female dermatologist. This stuff scares me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been meaning to do this for years, and never gotten around to it. I'm so glad I read this, b/c I had no idea how thorough it was!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used to go yearly but have let it slide for the past two years. This was a good reminder for me to get back to it! I have female dermatologists too.

NancyJ_redo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    I completely agree that you should be comfortable when doing this, but if you limit the scan, please go back and get a complete one. The melanoma my physician discovered was on my breast, on a freckle that I had had for years and never would have suspected was an issue.....perhaps he is part of a group and can switch the scheduling to a partner tomorrow?......
    My DH suggested last night that I just limit the scan, but I was thinking exactly as you suggested - if I do a partial scan now, I'll just need to go back to a different derm for the full scan, so best not to even waste anyone's time. So I ended up canceling this morning's appt (the dr doesn't have any partners working with him) and now I need to find a female derm. And just like you, I had a lot of sun exposure as a child and have a lot of freckles and moles, plus a family history of melanoma, so I really need to go get this done. And since I'm no spring chicken, I have years of sun exposure to worry about

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast