Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow. I guess I need to get on the waiting list for this. Who knew. Any other regular medical things we should be doing.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Today is 3 years since my Melanoma diagnosis.

No such thing as only looking in visible areas, but I will say I don't get the labia or "butt crack" check. He does look under my breasts and everywhere else. I don't know if I have more freckles/moles now or biopsy sites. I only wish there was an actual "scan" like a CAT scan, but for skin exams. My doctor (actually a PA) originally missed my Melanoma because it didn't look like one. That, and he was a moron, but I digress.
    We can only hope whoever is looking at us knows what they're looking for.

Don't sweat it. It takes no time and it very important. I was not a sun lover, it just happened. My best friend from HS died at 30 the year prior to my diagnosis. Corie lost her mom in her 40s. Don't worry if he sees a boobie or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jd11365 View Post
    I will say I don't get the labia or "butt crack" check. He does look under my breasts and everywhere else.
    This may be a little TMI...but I had a coworker who's mom had cancer. I innocently asked where? He looked a little uncomfortable and said "on her vulva." I recovered enough to express my concern for her. If I were him I would have just lied. We were friends, but I'm sure his mom didn't want him telling random people where her lesion was! And let me tell you that is the LAST time I'll ask that question. But I did learn that you can get skin cancer "down there."

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    This may be a little TMI...but I had a coworker who's mom had cancer. I innocently asked where? He looked a little uncomfortable and said "on her vulva." I recovered enough to express my concern for her. If I were him I would have just lied. We were friends, but I'm sure his mom didn't want him telling random people where her lesion was! And let me tell you that is the LAST time I'll ask that question. But I did learn that you can get skin cancer "down there."
    Yes-yes-I know I am all over this thread, I know, but thank you for sharing this. I was shocked when we discussed this. I keep my underwear on and he gently moves it down and requested that when I go for my yearly gyn, that they thoroughly look (lucky for me that my yearly was a week after finding my melanoma so it worked out). He also suggested that the eye Dr. take a good look at the eye area too and did discuss how the "anal" area is an area that people are surprised to hear that melanoma can grow....

I'm only 31 and am so grateful to have gotten my "reality check" as early as I did. Now, I feel like I am the poster-child (lady) for getting these checks! Hope everyone does....
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3