Default What are your favorite toddler/preschool chapter books?

We started reading chapter books to my four year old in the past year. We absolutely loved the My Father's Dragon trilogy and the Catwings series and have read both twice. However, lately we've been stuck in a rut of, well, not trashy, but not terribly literary books.
    My daughter and her two year old siblings love the Magic Treehouse Series and my daughter loves the Rainbow Fairies, Jewel Fairies, Weather Fairies, etc. series, but I'm looking for something....better. Not sure how to describe it.
    Every once in a while we get a Cobblestreet Cousins book which they're okay with, but not excited about. We tried Winnie the Pooh, but even I found that boring. James and the Giant Peach was too scary. Finn Family Moomintroll was just too weird.
    I'd love to hear what others are reading to their kids.
    Jill

Great question! We too loved the trilogy of My Father's Dragon. My kids enjoy Magic Tree House as well. They also like Geronimo Stilton...but that is even worse to read than MTH! I highly recommend The Invention of Hugo Cabret -- very creative and engaging story. You could also try Little House on the Prairie, Cronicles of Narnia, or Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Have you seen the book by Jim Trelease? It's "The Read-Aloud Handbook" and it has a long list of books with recommended ages, etc. I am looking through it and coming up with some ideas, but I just got it, so have nothing to suggest.
    Kris