lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Permission for medical treatment

I'm going away on business tonight for a week. DH will be with DD for Sat and Sunday but he is going to join me on Monday and Mom will be staying with DD the rest of the week. I just realized that I should probably put together some sort of letter giving Mom permission to take DD to the doctor if something happens. Do any of you know if there is an online example somewhere that I could download and fill in?

I don't know of a specific format anywhere, but I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful idea and we do the same thing. Of course, my Dh is an attorney (estate planning...wills, etc...) so he knows what he's doing! (Thank goodness because I would not have thought of this.)

Since DD usually stays with his parents as they are the closest, and his dad is also an attorney, they've got it covered.

Having said that, what we usually do is just hand-write something before we leave that says that we give permission to "A and or B" to seek medical treatment for DD. Then we all sign. Anything is better than nothing.

Christina

Our pediatrician has us fill out a form regarding who can bring the child into the office for treatment. If you are not on the list, then parents are called.

If it were a TRUE emergency and an ED visit were required...then treating the child is the 1st priority and a child will not be turned away because parental permission was not right there. But every attempt will be made to call the parents and obtain permission. A letter giving permission will assist in that process - make sure to put ways to get in contact with you on that letter.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    Having said that, what we usually do is just hand-write something before we leave that says that we give permission to "A and or B" to seek medical treatment for DD. Then we all sign. Anything is better than nothing.
    We do the same thing.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My ped's office has a form. I would think most offices have them. Maybe yours can fax you a form?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Both peds offices we've used (two different cities) have a form you can pick up...or that they will send you. If you can do that, it eliminates any potential stress about the form you have not agreeing with what they want to see.

We have one that we've signed, but that we've left the 'designee's' name blank. We leave it by the kitchen phone, with instructions to any caregiver's to fill in their own name if it's ever needed.