bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default M&M alternative?

I am looking for a peanut-free candy similar to M&Ms. I would like to bake M&M cookies for DS's class but they must be peanut free. Also wondering if it is a bad idea since parents may assume they have peanuts anyway.

I'd also love to get peanut-free chocolate chips. The only ones I can find currently are at BJs and I hate having to get such a lrge bag.

Thanks
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default vermont nut-free chocolates

Not the cheapest alternative, but Vermont Nut-free Chocolates makes "Skippers":

http://vnf.secure-mall.com/shop/?sho...=372667&cat=30

i haven't had tried the Skippers but all of their products are peanut- and tree nut-free.

Personally, I let DD have home-baked goods that are brought to her class. Her teachers check everytime someone brings in a baked good and if there is any question, they don't give it to her. Some parents wouldn't be comfortable with that. You could attach an ingredients list that parents can reference.

thanks for even trying to find a safe alternative!

marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you can find someone in Canada, I believe the "Smarties" up there are peanut free and the same as M&M's here (not the nasty Smarties we get here).

However, I think you are right that most parents would skip the cookies anyway, and even homemade stuff in general, since they can't be sure they don't have traces of nuts.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Yes, I have noticed that sometimes the allergic kids steer clear ofl home baked goods (more so in my older kids k class). This is for a huge preschool graduation BBQ and everone brings homeade stuff. Maybe I should just bring snickerdoodles since they raise less of a question.

My DS requested the M&M cookies since they are his favorite, but maybe I should hype-up the snickerdoodles or other choice.

Our school is peanut-free (including 'may contain') and all of the parents are pretty aware. They even post what cake mixes and icings we should use for baking. There are 2 kids I know of with egg/dairy allergies and their mothers always offer to bake the cupcakes for all class birthdays with the decoration of your choice. Or they bring in something for their own kid.
    Donna

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As a mom with a child with a peanut/nut allergy I wanted to also chime in and say thank you for being such a caring/accomodating person. You wouldn't believe some people I've come across...but that's a different story.

In regards to chocolate chips, Nestle HAS a nut warning so we use Hershey's chips since there isn't a nut warning on them.

However, as much as I think it's wonderful that you are doing this (I really do), unless you were a mom I knew well, I probably wouldn't let my child eat homebaked goods in class. The reason is I have no idea whether you recently baked peanut butter cookies and throughly cleaned the pans, used a wooden spoon etc. And it's easier to let the teacher know "no home baked goods, we'll provide our own treat" than saying "it's ok if Johnny's mom baked it but not if Sally's did". I'm not trying to imply that anyone is lack in cleaniness or sanitation, but generally those who don't deal with FA everyday may not think of certain things.

I'm not trying to offend, seriously, I think it is VERY kind for you to be accomodating.

ETA: we crossposted since I stepped away for a phone call before posting...your preschool sounds great, and that's fabulous that the parents are all so aware.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

oh and I wanted to add that it's great that your school (for FA folks) don't allow "may contains". So many people have no idea that even the plain M&M's might be contaminated with peanut. (Which I find so sad actually b/c I love M&Ms!)

[quote=alien_host;2382186
    I'm not trying to offend, seriously, I think it is VERY kind for you to be accomodating.
    [/quote]

Not offended at all! I have seen the insensitive side and I really don't understand it, especially when the kids are this young. Yes, my school is great. From what I've seen there are moms that avoid all homeade, some that do not. I'm sure they all have their reasons for different comfort levels. I think the school is striving to make everyone happy and because it is relatively small, many local people, and a co-op I think they have been pretty sucsessful.
    Donna