Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any Paris recommendations?

I’m leaving on Friday to present at a conference there without the kiddos, staying in a hotel by the Arc de triumphe. Would love any recommendations for places to eat, see, walk, do. Thanks!

Sacre-Coeur Basilica at Montmartre is absolutely gorgeous. And I love Notre Dame Cathedral and Versailles

People watching just about anywhere with a crepe and coffee is wonderful too I love Paris
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't been in about 10 years, but definitely see the museums (I loved the Musee d'Orsay the best), and take in the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower!

Here's the list of things to do from Tripadvisor:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...de_France.html

Here's a message forum:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...de_France.html

Have fun!

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

go to versailles on a day they have the fountains on, which is about once a week.

If you are into food at all, be sure to check out La Grande Epicerie at Le Bon Marche department store -- it's absolutely incredible! I could spend about a week there, just trying all the fabulous things they have available.

Also, rue Cler is this adorable, charming little street close to the Eiffel Tower. There are cute shops you can purchase food from (my favorites are a freshly baked baguette, some brie or camembert from the fromagerie, some gariguettes (French strawberries), and some chocolat to finish it off, of course!). You can then walk to the Parc du Champs de Mars and have a picnic within view of the Eiffel Tower -- fantastique!

Have fun! There's almost nothing I CAN'T recommend in Paris!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Default Laduree Tea Rooms

http://www.laduree.fr

For a very Parisian-feeling lunch (or just a coffee & pastry),
    the Laduree tea rooms are just wonderful.

Their macaroons are legendary,
    and their "Religieuse a la Rose" pastry was so good that I cried when I ate it!

There are several Laduree shops in Paris;
    check their website for the shop closest to your hotel.

Have fun, and bon voyage!

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A couple of good places to eat --

Le Souffle (we had three courses of souffles!) in 1st district. I wish I could remember the name of it but it was just down the street from the HOtel Mayfair. There is also a little hole in the wall down the street from Le Souffle that seated about 20 people (blink and you will miss it). It was delicious. I believe it was 4 - 5 courses for about $40 - $50 US.

My fav place ... and the place we went to twice while in Paris: http://www.pieddecochon.com/index.php?lang=en

The onion soup was to die for. I still think about it quite frequently.

We were going to do Laudree's but it was so expensive (which is quite relative to everyone, I understand) and the line was very long.

I would say to pick a random cafe and have a sandwich. We stopped at one place on the Champs Elysses and split a ham and cheese on baguette. Something about Paris just make that sandwich taste better.

There is a little cafe on rue Cler that had divine pizza (this is not a long road so you can find it pretty easily). Plus, rue Cler has some fantastic chocolate places. We bought lavendar flavored marshmallows. It was something different that I can now say I tried!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Museums! The Pompidou Center (Modern Art Museum) is WONDERFUL. Of course there's the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay but that's a whole day! Almost all the museums have a free day on one day of the week, and they each take turns. Some of my other favorite things to do: walking through the Luxembourg Gardens, going to the Marais (Moroccan/Middle Eastern/Jewish quarter) and eating the world's best falafel at L'As du Falafel, eating crepes and pain au chocolate anywhere pretty much, visiting the Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, eating Moroccan food...for a more touristy but really fun thing to do, take an evening boat-ride down the Seine - great way to see the city after your meetings are done. Make sure you get a good guidebook and enjoy!

for Sandy Hook

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

St. Chappelle is not far from the more famous Notre Dame and has the most amazing stained glass anywhere. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's all colors and lace.

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default don't miss out!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Table D'Anvers near Sacre Coeur. It has been a family favorite restaurant for YEARS!

I did a lot of kid shopping at Du Pareil au Meme. They ahve stores throughout the area.

The Cafe in Musee D'Orsay is quite good. They have english tours of the art work which are GREAT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast