Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Car-sickness: Benadryl vs Dramamine?

When we discovered that DD gets car-sickness on a regular basis, she was under 2, so we used Benadryl. But now that she's "older" is there any advantage to trying Dramamine? Will it knock her out less? She really conks out and then later feels out of it for awhile on Benadryl, which makes her angry.

Does anyone favor one over the other?
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

As a child I took 1/2 a dramamine for car trips. It didn't knock me out as an older child, but I don't recall when I was that young.

Now I take Bonine instead of dramamine - doesn't knock me out. Not sure it is cleared for little ones though.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

I also get carsick on a regular basis. I use Bonine too. Doesn't make you sleepy. You might call your ped or the company that makes Bonine and ask them if there is a dosage that would be appropriate for DC.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

hannah is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My DD is 4.5 yrs and also gets car sick. We have started to use the sea bands (available at drug store type store). She wears them on her wrists. I think they work (no episodes since we started using them) and they don't make her drowsy.

Thanks for the replies! The cut-off age for Bonine is 6, but I'll check with our ped to see if that is a firm cut-off.

Maybe I'll try the sea bands on DD next trip. I know One Step Ahead sells them, but it sounds like you were able to use the more readily available ones.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

[QUOTE=Naranjadia;2384055]Thanks for the replies! The cut-off age for Bonine is 6, but I'll check with our ped to see if that is a firm cut-off. QUOTE]

Let me know what your ped says. We're cruising this summer and I need to find a solution for DS just in case. MIL already bought a box of Bonine for us to share.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.