Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "No Boxed Gifts Please"-UPDATE

DH received an invitation to a colleague's wedding reception only (not the ceremony), and there is an enclosed card that says "NO BOXED GIFTS PLEASE." What does this mean? Does it mean they want only gift cards? Or does it simply mean don't bring gifts to the reception (which people aren't supposed to do anyway)? Or does it mean they want things only off their registry (assuming they have one--I wasn't able to find them on The Knot)? Or are they trying to save the environment?

Any thoughts?

ETA: DH e-mailed the groom. Groom wrote back that they don't know their living situation and didn't register. They would appreciate donations to their "good start at married life" fund or something like that. So, yeah, they just want money. I personally don't have a problem with this. I don't like it when people think they know what people want and ignore registries because they knew the "perfect" gift. Um, if it was the perfect gift, it would have been on the registry. I love registries; I never know what to get people.

Anyway, DH doesn't want to give cash (I'm not sure why--the way he was reared, I think), so I'm not sure what we're going to do.
    Last edited by sariana; 06-01-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added new info
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think it means they want a check or gift cards....nothing that comes in a 'box'. It is different from 'no gifts please'--they do expect a gift. We've been invited to receptions with the same request, as well. Tacky, IMO.

I looked it up online and I guess it means bring cash. It seems a tad rude to me but different strokes for different folks.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sounds like they want money or gift cards. I'd be a little surprised to receive an invite like that.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Play dumb and put the gift in a bag!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Wow. That's pretty tacky.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I did a little more goggling on this and came across an idea of giving to a charity in their name. May I suggest "The Human Fund" ala George on Seinfeld.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

wow! That's rude IMHO. It sounds like, we want your money. We don't want anything that you pick out, but please pay us to come to our wedding. wierd, I'd bring nothing. Although, I like the bag idea
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A tad tacky? That is un-freaking-believably RUDE.

I agree. Buy them a present and throw it in a bag.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I agree that that is odd. And really like the charity gift idea

When I moved up here I was confronted with different cultural customs than I was used to regarding weddings. For example, some cultural communities expect money as gifts, to be given at the reception. However, this is something that everyone just *knows* and is NEVER mentioned on the invite - however obliquely. That, I don't have a problem with.

But your "non-boxed gifts" - unless someone can explain that better it's not something I'm on board with.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast