Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Beef allergy - hot dog and burger recommendations?

My DD had an allergic reaction during dinner a few weeks back and we underwent skin and RAST testing and of all things to be allergic to, she's allergic to beef!

So, I'm trying to figure out good alternatives for her for summer barbeques, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good vegetarian hotdog? I was buying nitrate free beef hotdogs for my son prior to this (DD has just discovered her love of hotdogs). I'm guessing that there probably are not any beef free and nitrate free hotdogs made of meat, so I'm thinking vegetarian is the way to go here.

Favorite non-beef burgers?

It won't be too hard at home since we don't eat a ton of steak and any ground meat we already use for tacos, lasagna, etc, is turkey already anyhow. The BBQ season presents the challenge since she doesn't really like to eat a chicken breast.

Thanks!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

haven't tried these but found them:
    http://www.wellnessgrocer.com/shelto...ks-p-3684.html

Also, you could do turkey burgers instead of beef. But with the hot dogs you could just bring a few along and pop them on the grill if you go to someone's house. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if it's due to an allergy- I know I wouldn't.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

We have similar issues here - I have GI issues with beef. So I eat Boca burgers and chicken hotdogs. I just had a big BBQ for DS's 1st birthday - I get ALL chicken dogs because there were SUPER cheapt at BJ's. Like $3 for 50! On the grill NO ONE could tell the difference. When I pop them in the microwave, there is a little difference but they are still good!

I can't stand the veggie hotdogs though.

lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD eats turkey burgers (we just buy ground turkey and cook same as beef). For hot dogs she eats Applegate Farms turkey hot dogs, which are nitrate free.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Applegate farms turkey dogs arnt bad they are antibiotic free. Turkey burgers, ground chicken burgers boca burgers.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are chicken hot dogs and turkey hot dogs out there. I don't remember the brand I get but they are decent tasting. Also, there is a brand of veggie hot dogs that are quite good (Yves or smart living I believe). Also, boca burgers, morning star farm burgers and turkey burgers. My grocery store also sells ground chicken so I can make homemade chicken burgers (and we do a lot of homemade turkey burgers). Also, what about salmon burgers or tuna burgers? DD loves these and they are healthier than the other meat alternatives I feel.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I grew up eating chicken hot dogs from Foster Farms, but outside of northern, and central California they can be a little hard to find. Now for burgers we get our turkey burgers at Costco. For meat free burgers we really like original Boca burger, which have 18 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fiber.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm glad to hear the Applegate farms hotdogs. Going shopping today so we can try out these ideas!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd like to suggest you go to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org and see what you can find about beef allergies. IIRC you have to be careful with some medications because they are made with beef and because it isn't a top-8 allergen (the 8 most common food allergens) it doesn't have to be listed on the ingredients list as 'beef'. Non top-8 allergies are really, really tricky. Get all the help you can, because it can be anywhere.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I'd like to suggest you go to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org and see what you can find about beef allergies. IIRC you have to be careful with some medications because they are made with beef and because it isn't a top-8 allergen (the 8 most common food allergens) it doesn't have to be listed on the ingredients list as 'beef'. Non top-8 allergies are really, really tricky. Get all the help you can, because it can be anywhere.
    Thank you for the advice. There sure isn't much out there about beef allergy. I'll be sure to check out that site!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast