Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Yogurt Sell By Date

How many days after the sell by date would you eat yogurt?

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did so ONE day after the SELL BY date last year and woke up the next day nauseas and sick. It was the only suspicious thing I could put my finger on and passed with a lot of sleep and PeptoBismol.

If it doesn't taste or smell funny I eat it. I think I ate some 1 week past the sell by date. I was fine. (and despite the old joke, you can definitely tell if yogurt's gone bad by the taste, it tastes curdled.)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Only a couple of days, but I have to explain my reason. I went to a very small town in Michigan in mid-February this year (that's 2009 BTW) for my FIL's memorial service. We went to the local grocery store and I bought some yogurt. The day we were going to the airport to leave and come home, I grabbed the last cup of yogurt and started eating it in the car. It tasted fine, but it looked kind of, well...stringy and it was unusually thick. I thought something didn't seem right, so I looked at the expiration date. Are you ready? December 2008! OMG - I was freaking out! I only ate a few spoons of it and I survived, but I just CANNOT eat yogurt past it's expiration date now. I'm interested to see other's replies on this because I now feel like a big wimp when it comes to expired yogurt!

Up to a week.
    Kerri

I guess after all these years of being a Packers fan, I've also got to start cheering for the "Niners"...
    DD 11/09/06
    DS 06/09/09

If the top isn't puffed and it doesn't taste funny. After all it is just spoiled milk.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

At least a few, assuming it looked, smelled, and tasted ok. I frequently drink Stoneyfield Farms yogurt smoothies for breakfast and have more than once finished one off, only to notice that they're past their expiration. Never had any health problems as a result!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DH and I have frequently eaten yogurt a good month or more past the date. Never gotten sick. Maybe we just have iron stomachs?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If the top isn't puffed and it doesn't taste funny. After all it is just spoiled milk.
    If it's a sealed, unopen yogurt I've eaten it weeks and even occasionally months past the expiration. Once it's opened, I am more cautious, but I use them as long as nothing is growing on it and it smells OK.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I have a mental block about expiration dates so usually won't eat it past the exp. date. If it looks/smells okay, I'll feed it to the kids, though. Is that wrong?

With eggs, I don't mind a week or two but milk products? Can't do it.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast