cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help w/ Father Day gift for my Dad: Topsy turvy tomato plant

My Dad mentioned to me that he would like one of these. I found a place that sells them for 13.99 shipped. What else can I add to it to make it a complete gift? (Preferably something inexpensive.) I live several hours from them so it would have have to be mailed. TIA!

You could send him something to go with the tomotoes depending on how you think he'll use them (e.g., precooked bacon that doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened if he likes BLTs or salad dressing if he likes salads, etc.). However, I'm frugal and wouldn't want to pay shipping for something like that so I don't think that's a great idea. Personally, I think the plant alone with a card is nice, but you could also enclose a small gift card to his local grocery store so he can buy things to go with his tomatoes. Or how about a sun hat that he can wear while "gardening" out there?

Where did you find the plant for that price shipped? I think I'm going to steal your idea and send my dad one now too!

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

pottersgifts.com

MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our Walgreen's has them for $9.99

You could get a recipe book that is all about how to dry tomatoes, or make sauces or salsa's, etc.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about a lowes gift card (or homedepot)....he could get some more gardening stuff....especially if he needs a place to hang it..or if there is any type of upkeep with it....he could get some other herbs to plant for making things like sauces (oregeno, parsley) or tomatoe/mozzerella salads with basal....

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like all of the PPs suggestions, but also don't think you need to get anything else.

I was also thinking...
    - a nice balsamic vinegar or olive oil
    - a tomato knife (I picked up our Wusthof at Home Goods or TJ Maxx) - I always thought these were unnecessary but it actually does a really nice job on our fresh from the garden tomatoes
    - gardening gloves
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs