Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quick Help ... Benadryl and Sudafed together?

I am dying a slow, painful death from severe allergies. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. I hate taking Sudafed (it makes my heartbeat rise and kind of restless), but it's really the only thing that will semi-dry up all the SNOT that is free flowing from my nose. Seriously, I didn't think it was humanly possible for a body to create this much snot ... two boxes of Kleenex in a little over a day.

Anyway, my prescription allergy med (Xyzal) is doing absolutely nothing. The only other thing that is giving me some semi-relief from my other allergy symptoms (itchy, watery eyes, itchy throat, sneezing, DYING) is good old fashioned Benadryl.

I've already taken the Sudafed about 30 minutes ago. Can I take Benadryl on top of it? My local pharmacy is already closed.

Thisis what I found. I would say yes becasue other products have them combined. I just wanted to make sure.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_mi...oephedrine_HCI

I wouldn't take Benadryl and Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) together if you're looking for something non-drowsy. Instead, go to the store and buy Claritin-D or Zyrtec-D. They both have psuedoephedrine in it, which acts as a decongestant. If you already have the Sudafed, then you can just buy the generic version of Claritin or Zyrtec. Wal-Mart offers it on their $4 generic list sold over the counter. Loratadine (Claritin) or Cetirizine (Zyrtec).

There isn't interactions between Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) or Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine). Sudafed tends to make you hyper (certain people say that it makes them tired) and Benadryl makes you drowsy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will cancel each other out.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can combine them because one is a decongestent and the other is an antihistamine. (Dr. Sears says it is OK) I combine them all the time. But Benedryl can cause drowsiness. I don't personally have a problem with that but some people do. So if benedryl works for you, then go for it.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My first trimester I had this weird cold that was drippy nose, that went into my throat and made it sting. Kept me up 3 nights. I called the OB's office, and they suggested both Sudafed and Benadryl. Worked beautifully!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Thanks everybody!

I haven't looked at all the package ingredients, but Claritan (OTC) barely has done anything for me in the recent past weeks that I've been struggling with this (this is my husband's OTC drug of choice, so this is what I tried first). Haven't even attempted Zyrtec because my pharmacist said that Xyzal has Zyrtec in it, and since the Xyzal is doing *nothing* for me, I'm not even going to bother. I have Benadryl in the house already and it's really the only thing that's putting a dent into the symptoms ... and honestly, I'm so miserable, I don't care if it makes me drowsy. I hate, hate, hate the way Sudafed makes me feel (I gave a description in my first post, but BabyMine described it better ... hyper).

I'm about due for another dose of Sudafed, so I'm going to go ahead and take the Benadryl too. I'm going out of my mind .... I've had allergies all my life, but I have NEVER had allergies this bad before. It's as if someone has a freshly cut grass bouquet or a bowl of shaved red cedar chips (lots of allergies, but those are my two worst) right under my nose, 24/7. I've been in bed for almost two days! From ALLERGIES! It's been going on for a good six weeks, and I'm pretty sure it's now developed into something more because I can feel it in my chest and my ears are popping sometimes when I swallow. And my throat is raw from all the coughing from the drip, drip, drip down my throat.

Thanks again for all the help! Sorry to whine, I'm just miserable.

And PS: I've been in a panic since last night when I got it into my head that maybe we have a mold problem (no outward sign, just my paranoid mind working overtime) and maybe THAT'S what this is all about. My husband just thinks I'm crazy.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Nasal irrigation. Seriously, I was going crazy so went to the ENT and she said to stop the sudafed (she said it damages the liver) and switch back to OTC Claritan and prescribed Nasonex. I use the nasal rinse twice a day and that helped SO MUCH especially when I first started the claritan/nasonex combo. The Nasonex is a $40 co-pay, which is crazy, so I'm hoping the nasal irrigation and claritan will be enough when I run out of Nasonex.

eta: note the warnings on the nasal irrigation (or nettipot) about not using if completely blocked up. Not sure why they say not to use it if completely blocked up, maybe ear pressure. Also, the doctor suggested used distilled water for the nasal irrigation. My tip is to be sure you have at least two tissues or handkerchiefs at the ready when you do the irrigation, you won't believe how much gunk comes out your nose.

I also found out I have a deviated septum which may be contributing to the congestion as well.
    Last edited by rlu; 06-15-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

2nding the nasal irrigation. I thought my Doc was nuts, I also thought I would drown. It worked.

That and Benadryl (I needed antibiotics 2 b/c I already had an infection).
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2