Default RF Marathon Installation--tethering, 45deg, etc.???

Hi, All.

I have just switched DS to DD's old Marathon, rear-facing in my 2002 Ford Escape. He was in a Safety 1st Uptown, but I thought he'd be more comfy in the Marathon because he has a stocky build (almost 29 pounds) and especially wide shoulders. The Uptown will replace the old Triumph in DH's car since he cannot operate the Triumph (and so he always takes my vehicle when toting the kids around). :-) Will store the Triumph for now.

OK, so the Marathon was a breeze to install in my old Impala, but I cannot get that thing tight in the Escape nor at the right angle even with noodles. What gives? The worst part is that I cannot find the tether connector. There is one for sale on Ebay right now, and I will probably buy it since it is half the cost of going through Britax or Elitecarseats (thanks to $8 shipping).

For those with RF Marathons in an Escape or Mazda Tribute, what am I not doing or is the tether connector absolutely necessary?

Thanks,
    Kristie

Mum to Eliza (4.5) and Charlie (1.5)

I wouldn't try to get it reclined to 45*, that's way too much work and doesn't make it safer or anything.

Are you trying with LATCH or Seatbelt? And where is it not tight? The top is pretty wobbly naturally, it's only the base/at the belt path that has to be solid.

Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks. I tried latch and seatbelt. Couldn't get the lockoffs on the Marathon to work with the seatbelt. In both cases the top was fairly wobbly. The base was pretty solid.

Meanwhile, I called DH at work to have him double-check his car, and the tether connector was there. So, can I ditch the noodles under the base, use latch, and use the tether connector to make the fit tight (but not at 45*)?

Joolsplus2, you are such a big help!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You shouldn't need to use a noodle to install a Britax.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Glad you found your d-ring.
    I'm thinking the noodles may be less useful than you think they are, though.
    The last two pictures here show a good older child recline level, no noodles... http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...stag/?start=20 unless your seats are really scooped out? Then they CAN be super helpful
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#