Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stroller for NYC trip?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to NYC next month. DS will be 8 1/2 mths at the time. We have an Uppa Vista that I love, but am wondering if this is too big for public transportation?

MTA website says you have to fold strollers for buses? Is this really true? I lived there for 5 years and definitely saw people with kids in strollers on the buses. Also -- is the Vista too big to get through/over subway turnstiles if there isn't a gate to go through?

Would love to take my Vista, but if it is going to be a major pain then I am considering getting something smaller and more compact. Perhaps a Mac?

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!!!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Vista, but always use the Mac Quest for travel and PT. I've never tried taking the Vista on trains or buses, I think it'd be too much trouble. Also if you're flying, you might prefer not to take the Vista since airlines aren't always very careful with strollers.

I first got my Mac for travelling alone with DH, and it made my life so much easier, since I can fold it with one hand, and carry both DS and the stroller to go through security, get on the train, etc.

Finally if you plan on visiting touristy places, like museums, which will be crowded, the Vista might be too bulky and wide.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We use a Triumph and Ergo combination for things like subways, buses, etc. small diaper bag/backpack, kid in Ergo (front or back) and Triumph over the shoulder (with the strap) - and your hands are still free to get your metro card out, grab a drink, etc.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We use a Triumph and Ergo combination for things like subways, buses, etc. small diaper bag/backpack, kid in Ergo (front or back) and Triumph over the shoulder (with the strap) - and your hands are still free to get your metro card out, grab a drink, etc.
    Mac + baby carrier = great combo for city travel
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ariveraz View Post
    Mac + baby carrier = great combo for city travel
    Agreed. I took my Cameleon to NYC first and it's a HORRIBLE idea. It's just so bulky on the streets and/or anywhere else you want to go. Everything is mini sized in the city compared to the midwestern suburbs. The last few times, I didn't even take a stroller and just the Ergo--which was perfect for us--she was still little enough to carry all the time and I had friends help me carry the diaper bag.

Having a lightweight umbrella plus carrier would be best IMO.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

I would definitely go with an umbrella. I was just in NYC with my whole family, including my sister and 4 month old niece. They brought their new Maclaren Quest, and it was AWESOME.

We took buses, cabs, and the subway, and we were always having to fold up the stroller. The subways were always too crowded to leave it open, and it is just easier to get the stroller on and off the bus when it is folded (especially when it is light).

Vista -- definitely too big to go through turnstiles. And there aren't doors everywhere. And what would you do at stops which do not have an elevator (lots of them)?

On the bus I have seen people take their Vista and not fold it (the bus kneels and they just get on) but I have very rarely seen strollers like Vista (primarily Bugaboos) on the train. It would be tough for you and you can't do anything at rush hour -- neither train nor bus.

On the other hand, if you were to get a light umbrella stroller, the baby is going to be too close to the ground -- not good when in NYC, it is sooo dirty here. I don't know what advice to give you -- my baby is still on the way. Once she arrives I will probably have to figure this out myself since I live in NYC.

Default Thank you!

Thanks for all the input. Just confirmed my concerns. I was going to get an umbrella anyways as the Vista is just too space consuming in my trunk. I'll definitely get one before the trip!

Oh -- and we are driving, so the airplane isn't a concern. More the buses and subways once we got there. We are taking my neice as a sitter/extra set of hands, but even with her, I think the Vista is going to be too much of a pain.

Appreciate the help!!

Default So now which one?

Mac Quest?
    Ingelsina Trip?
    Graco Ipo?
    Esprit SunSpeed?

Looking for a good recline. (Not neccessarily full recline.)
    Easy, compact fold.
    Fairly durable.
    Will use on this NYC trip plus keep in trunk for quick trips to mall, etc. We use the Vista for walks around the neighborhood, etc. at home.

Thanks!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I vote for the Mac Quest
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast