Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Slip-on clog that's NOT Crocs

Alex will be starting preschool in the fall and will need to take off and put on his own shoes when entering the classroom. I think a backless clog would be easiest. But nobody in my family is going to walk around in ridiculous clown shoes so Crocs are out. (apologies to Crocs fans but I hate how they look). I stopped by Stride Rite today - nothing. Any ideas? He wears 8 now, would probably buy 8 1/2.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Any backless clog (Crocs or otherwise) are not going to do well running around on a playground. I'd recommend a slip-on or Velcro sneaker. My 5yo wears laceless Converse but those probably aren't going to be easy enough for a preschooler.

So they just wear socks in the classroom? Never heard of that before.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Have you checked out the Merrell Jungle Moc for kids? They are basically clogs - with a back. The sole is more like a sneaker, so OK for running around on a playground.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

You can probably find a Birkenstock option, but that would be way pricey for preschool indoor shoes. I'd probably go with a cheap slip on sneaker as well, maybe a half size too big for ease of use. Ugg probably has something too, but that's also spendy, and I think uglier than Crocs.

What about a navy Croc, or black or brown. Cheap, easy for Alex, and not so clowny. (We love the clowny crocs here, of course, so I'm pretty immune.)
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

ETA: Looks like Molly and I are on the same wavelength.
    Not a backless clog, but what about the Merrell Jungle Moc? IIRC, DS could get them on and off when he was about your DS's age.
    http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-jungl.../159108/366579

I agree with the PP that backless clogs will be problematic for running/climbing outside. I think Crocs are ugly, too, but LOVE that DS has long been able to get them on and off himself. He wears the Crocling style, with the neoprene cuff that keeps them on his feet more securely.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    ETA: Looks like Molly and I are on the same wavelength.
    Not a backless clog, but what about the Merrell Jungle Moc? IIRC, DS could get them on and off when he was about your DS's age.
    http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-jungl.../159108/366579

I agree with the PP that backless clogs will be problematic for running/climbing outside. I think Crocs are ugly, too, but LOVE that DS has long been able to get them on and off himself. He wears the Crocling style, with the neoprene cuff that keeps them on his feet more securely.
    Ditto to all the above. Merrell Jungle Mocs are awesome for kids and while I might hate the look of Crocs, I love the ease of use (ease of washing, ease of putting them on, ease of not fighting with the kids over why they can't have the same shoes as everyone else in their class).

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014