Question Best Carrier for VERY Infrequent Use?

Okay, so I am definitely not one to enjoy baby wearing in general. My first hated the front carrier we had and truthfully, I didn't like it either, so we never used it much.

My dilemma is this: My 5 year old is starting pre-K this week at the same school she had pre-school in. They do many of the same field trips each year. For example, they will go to the apple orchard again this year, probably in the next couple of weeks. I have an 8 week old now as well. While he's pretty good natured, I don't see it going well when I have to carry him for an hour +, trudging through a wet apple orchard, trying to help pick and carry a bag of apples. (That was enough work without the newborn last year!) There are several times throughout the year that DS #2 will have to come with me and I will probably need some type of hands-free carrier.

What is an inexpensive, but very comfy for both of us, front carrier that is easy to use by myself and that I can get him in and on me quickly that will not make both of us die from heat exhaustion? (I'm not asking for much here, huh?)

Ideas? This won't be an everyday use thing.

Thanks,
    Christina

It sounds like you had a bad carrier the first time around. All I had with my twins was the baby bjorn, which killed my back and turned me off of baby wearing as well. With DS#3, I knew I would need to carry the baby to keep up with 3 yo twins, so I started my search for a better baby carrier. I decided that I really liked the moby wrap for a newborn, and a better soft structured carrier for an older baby. Ergo and Beco are great (Patapum is a bit less $$), or a Pikkolo carrier if you really want the option to face front (keep in mind that having the baby face front is NOT as comfy for the wearer, and may be bad for baby's back, too). Mei tais are also nice, but do have long straps, making them more adjustable.

I think that once you try a good, comfy, carrier that you will find yourself wearing the baby more often, because it makes life so much easier to have 2 free hands!

www.thebabywearer.com has a FSOT forum, and lots of reviews of baby carriers.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would suggest a mei tai (mine is a babyhawk brand) or an Ergo. Both will do a front or back carry and will be good from a few months until your babe is to heavy to carry.

But...there is a learning curve in general with carriers. I think that expecting your babe to ride in a carrier for and hour plus without really having done may be unrealistic.

If I were you I'd look for a used one (less $$) then make a goal to wear a little bit to get you both used to it.

I don't wear my boys for the sake of wearing. But I really do find it very convenient for some things.

Good luck.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Not to get off topic from the carrier, but will they even LET you go on the fieldtrip if you are taking your baby too? I ask, b/c based on my exp, we are NOT allowed to bring siblings to field trips. So, I have never been able to go on any, even though I would have liked to.

Is there any way you can just borrow a carrier from a friend if you use it that infrequently? I would recommend an ergo, BUT it's not worth spending $100 on if you don't plan to use it that much. A mei tai would probably be ideal, you can get one used and it is basically one-size-fits all and can be used as a front and back carry, BUT it does take a little bit of practice. I have an 8 wk old too and currently, I use my moby wrap (although this is very limited, b/c I don't like to use it after baby is 20 lbs) and mei tai the most right now. I cannot survive w/o my carriers throughout the day though. I'm thinking that maybe it you get a carrier that you like, you will actually use it often enough for it to be worth the $, kwim? A pouch sling would be a very cheap alternative, the only thing is that it is only a one shouldered sling, but if you use it infrequently, that might not be a big deal AND it rolls up really small and doesn't take up much room. With the pouch sling, the biggest issue is making sure you measure yourself correctly, b/c if you don't, it won't fit properly and you won't like it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I would put out an ISO on thebabywear.com FSOT-ISO forum for a Solarweave Connecta. SUPER comfy, very easy to use, DH friendly, awesome. It was my absolute all-time favorite carrier from 8weeks to 1 year. I wore mine all the time. I never considered myself a babywearing fanatic type (though I did wear my first DS occasionally) but when I found the Connecta, I wore DS #2 all the time. Seriously comfortable. Loved mine, prefered it over the stroller even.

The cotton ones are super comfy too, but if you are looking for lightweight, the Solarweave weighs next to nothing. DH can stuff it in a cargo pocket in his shorts, no kidding. He loved it too.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that a pouch sling is an inexpensive option. I'm able to place DS sitting forward in it and then slide him down as he falls asleep. Its easy to stash in a diaper bag and simpler to get on/off than a wrap. I'd practice using it in advance so the baby and you are comfortable in it.

I love the Slinglings brand, check their website to figure out the right size. Deals are available on attachedtobaby.com and they sometimes come up on Mamabargains.com for $20 or less.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011