Thread: Safeguard go

Default Safeguard go

So my Go arrived (Jan 2009 from Albee). I tried installing the seat in my parents PT Cruiser last night and the seat seems to move from side to side a lot. Am I just not tightening the latch enough (still week from the bug the kids gave me over the weekend). The latch connectors stick out a little from the seat back vs the inside the seat I am used to with my Sienna. I wanted to try a seatbelt install instead, but what is the deal with the seatbelts they do not seem to lock?

Thanks
    Sierra
    I know my brain is still fuzzy too from the before mentioned bug the kids shared with me
    2 boys 2 girls

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OOH that's a good date, we are looking at buying one too for DD and Elitecarseats.com has some installation videos on them on their website, maybe those might help. Also per those videos I think you can only use the LATCH for the booster mode, you must use the thether for the highback harnessed mode.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It should not move that much -- I have installed my GO in many cars and it has barely wiggled with a LATCH install. Seatbelt install had more movement for sure, but I found it still to be OK. You may use the Lower LATCH anchors in harness or booster mode, it certainly makes the install super fast.

Also, since the seat is so light, I believe that you can use the LATCH for the full 60 pound harnessed weight limit regardless of car that you are installing in. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

The top tether can only be used in harnessed mode -- and the tether location MUST be directly behind the seat -- not off to the side. It can be in the ceiling, across the cargo area, on the floor, etc, but it can't be off to the side.

Hope that helps,
    Cheryl

The top tether must always be used when using the harness. The lower anchors may always be used, when it's harnessed or boostered. It's basically a vest, so without the top tether, there'd be no support at all. It does not become a highback booster at all, just harnessed or backless.
    Now that that's all cleared up...
    I find that the best way to get the LATCH tightened is to pull in/across the seat, rather than out/away from the seat...so get them hooked up, and pull the tightening straps inside/under the armrests, and that should get it tight enough (same rule as other seats: one inch of movement is acceptable, doesn't have to be rock solid). Good luck! Hope you recover soon, I hate that sick/weak feeling
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

thanks Jools for clarification, so for this one seat it's okay to use the latch and the harness at the same time?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Went back to the install and I think I got it in better. It is a looser install feeling (but under an inch at the belt path now), I am used to my Britax seats not moving at all.
    Thanks Everyone! Now I think we are ready for school to start.... EEK

Sierra
    2 boys 2 girls